Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:£2.49

Dear John is the story of a special forces soldier, John (Channing Tatum) who meets his soul mate, Savannah (Amanda Seyfried) whilst on leave between tours of Iraq/Afghanistan. Whilst their time together is limited but they both realise that they mean something truly significant to each other and decide to persevere despite the difficulties facing them. They continue to write to each other for the length of John's service, stealing what precious moments together whenever they can. When John's loyalty to his unit and his 'band-of-brothers' means re-enlisting; he is plunged into a dichotomy on where his loyalties truly lie; with Savannah or the military.

The characters are very believable, if a little too wholesome sometimes, with both the leads providing tangible emotional range and lending some real gravity to the plot. Channing Tatum fits the part of a rough-around-the-edges soldier well and Seyfried is the ideal girl-next-door. John's single father is a worthy addition to the story, furthing straining John's already divided loyalty.

The scenery throughout the film is breathtakingly beautiful, the director Lasse Hallestrom has used the natural beauty of South Carolinian beach evenings and the verdant lawns of colonial houses framed by spanish moss-laden trees to perfect effect. On top of all of this is a memorable score with some real stand out tracks - Paperweight by Joshua Radin and Schuyler Fisk deserves a special mention.

In conclusion, whilst this film won't change your life or cause you to reassess your understanding of love; this is a great film with some honestly touching moments. I recommend this to everyone, grab your significant other and curl up for a memorable couple of hours!!
1313 comments|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2010
After seeing and reading all of Nicholas Sparks's movies and books, I found the book version of Dear John to be the best. It detailed a love story that proved the effect of distance on a relationship, and how even the most perfect romances have their problems. The film quite accurately portrayed the love between John and Savannah, and the story was built up nicely. The sub plot in the book which concerns the relationship between John and his father is what makes the movie, and both actors really draw you into the movie.

However, although I am a fan of Amanda Seyfried, her acting in the movie appeared at times to be forced, and in one scene instead of crying (as she should be), she seemed to be laughing. The ending also seemed to change the true message that the book so fully explained, which was a shame. All in all though, Dear John was an enjoyable movie, but don't expect a repeat of the amazing adaptation that was The Notebook.
on 5 August 2010
'Dear John' is the third novel to film adaptation from the popular american writer Nicholas Sparks that I've had the 'pleasure' of watching (the first two being 'The Notebook' and 'A walk to Remember'). After a wonderful trailer, and having thoroughly enjoyed the previous two film adaptations, I was looking forward to seeing 'Dear John' until the negative reviews started flooding in (the film currently has a 5.9/10 rating on IMDb and a 28% rating on Rotten Tomatoes). However, never one to rely only on other people's opinions and always in favour of forming my own, I decided to take the plunge and watch 'Dear John'...and for once I really wish I did just listen to the critics!

Lets lay down brief plot synopsis before continuing. On spring vacation for two weeks, school girl Savannah (played by 'Mamma Mia!'s Amanda Seyfried) meets and falls in love with soldier John Tyree (played by the gorgeous Channing Tatum) who is on leave for a few weeks before he must return to the army to complete his final year of service. Before parting ways, Savannah and John promise to keep in touch through letters - and they do (hence the title 'Dear John'). However, just before John's 1 year is complete the September 11 attacks occur and John feels obliged to sign up for an additional 2 years service, something Savannah can't handle. To find out what happens next - watch the film!

Despite liking the initial hour or so of the film, I felt that the latter half let down the former so badly that it has tainted my enjoyment of the entire film. There was so much potential here, interesting characters, an interesting situation, but after John received a certain letter (those who have watched the film will know what I am talking about) the film went downhill for me, and the dwindling, anti-climactic ending didn't do anything to help save the day. I have another bone to pick as well - which is more of a problem with the source material (or, more precisely the author) than this actual adaptation. From the three film adaptations I've watched, all of Nicholas Sparks' novels are the same They all feature a tough 'bad boy' who is either poor, a trouble maker, or has anger issues (etc) who fall in love with a beautiful, innocent, VirginMary-esque girl who make them change who they are, and give them a new reason to live. But of course, something always comes in the way after a brief yet intense romance, and the rest of the story is about the star-crossed lovers regretting their earlier choices and pining the fact they're not together like they should be. If I was 14 years old I would be eating this stuff up, and even now I understand the appeal, but I do think it's ridiculous for an author to write the same story over and over again.

Although my review may seem harsh, I have to confess that I did enjoy much of the film and if it wasn't for the awfully poor ending, this review would have had at least a couple more stars added to it's rating. I don't know whether it's due to the source material, or lazy film makers, but after an hour the story fell completely flat and let down what could have been a very good film indeed.
on 2 January 2011
12A, Romance, Drama, War.
What more could you want from a film. If you like to watch films which make your heart beat increase rapidly due to the utter love shared by two and then how this strong passion is broken, this is the film for you. This film has a superb cast list including Channing Tatum as John Tyree and Amanda Seyfried as Savannah Curtis, who act out Nicholas Sparks's novel- which this film is based on, magnificently.

PLOT: A romantic drama about a soldier who falls for a conservative college student while he's home on leave. While John is on leave in his hometown, he finds Savannah, a college student visiting the town. Although love was unexpected, it doesn't mean they didn't find it. With the knowledge of John having to leave for the army, their love still lives, until his re-signs on due to the 9/11 attack. Troubles invade and their love put on hold. One cannot bear it anymore; can the other? (IMBD)

Quotes:
'Love brought them together will fate tear them apart?'
'Love can transform us in ways we never could have imagined'
'Two weeks together, that's all it took, two weeks for me to fall for you'.

I strongly recommend both the novel and film of Dear John- it really is one not to be missed.
on 5 October 2011
It is very difficult for a film to ever be as good as the book and this was no exception. The book was an agonisingly beautiful and so was the film but it just didn't come across as emotional as the book. Throughout the book I cried repeatedly but in the film I just blubbed every now and again.

John is in the American army to escape from his troublesome childhood. His father was always difficult and even more so after he was left with john as a baby. You then have Savannah who is on a sort of 'spring break' and stumbles across john and develops a deep love for him. John then has to go back to Iraq for war and their relationship continues through letters until one day it all goes sour...

It is hard to write short hand a blurb of sorts for this film without giving everything away and I would not want to do that as reading the book and watching the film makes you enjoy it even more. I could not describe how beautiful and touching this book is to your heart as it has to be seen to understand. Grief, illness, anger and happiness are all explored throughout the film and are portrayed very well but just not as well as the book. I would defiantly recommend this film but I would honestly read the book first as it will let you appreciate the film so much more...
on 6 June 2012
This is such an emotional film it's really quite hard to believe. I thought it really showed how life in the Armed Forces can affect an individuals personal life when they're both away on duty and also back home.
I also felt that the way it portrayed John's father's illness was done brilliantly. It was factual but also very respectful. It showed the effects on both the sufferer and their families with a great deal of decorum and ingenuity.
John and Savannah's relationship was so heartfelt, and felt so real. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't crying almost constantly. However, there were also moments in the film where I couldn't stop smiling.
I watched the film before reading the book by Nicholas Sparks on which it it based, and I have to say they handled the transaction from print to film fantastically.

Since buying this DVD I went on to read the rest of Nicholas Sparks' books, and bought the corresponding films.

Fabulous film, great for a movie night in with your loved one.
on 31 October 2011
Such a very moving story, make sure you have your tissues at the ready!! Great value for money. Lovely, touching film :)
on 8 February 2016
in all my life i have never cried over a movie but this got me. this movie is the most emotional and beautiful story. If you only watch one thing for the rest of your life. this is it.
on 16 March 2011
This movie is one of my favorites.

Its a love drama with a great story and great acting.

Channing Tatum and Amanda seyfried at their best, playing the roles so honest and beautiful that it desnt even seem like acting...it feels like its real...like they are living this life.

i dont think i ahev to tell you the story, you can just read that up there.
i found this movie very beautful and i will watch it again soemtime. it is very heartbreaking but doesnt leave you with a sad feeling...i would just call it touched...i wasnt feeling sad...just touched and very impressed.

i think a great movie, is a movie that leaves u thinking about your life..thinking that you are gartefull for evyrthing, but also amybe thart u have t change somehting.

its rarely that i watch a movie, that actually makes me want to change soemhting about myself...well..but this one did!!!

very beautiful for a movie night on ur own or with a friend...i honestly think gueys can enjoy this movie too...its not the typcal love drama..

so go and get it:)
on 25 November 2015
I found this movie too sad to really be classed as a romance. It was kind of dreary and not really a great ending. I wouldn`t watch this again.