Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£2.99

on 29 March 2014
Title of the review pretty much summaries how much I enjoyed this novel.
The protagonist, Jimmy, lives with his grandma in the run-down part of a small town and he's initially the relatable unpopular guy who spends time reading books and watching tv shows.. his ordinary life changes when a series of actions lead him to meeting a talkative, charming girl named Peaches... coincidentally, the apocalypse strikes soon after.

The narration flowed quickly and I found myself laughing out loud at the dialogues and Jimmy 's internal reasoning several times!!
I loved how the zombie horror element didn't come across as strongly as other novels. In fact, I'm a bit of a scaredy cat so it was a relief that the author went easy on the suspense. There are many original plot twists and the characters are all very endearing!!
on 15 May 2014
I gave dead highways four stars because I thought it was a good mix of humour and zombies, it's a easy read, not to taxing, and had me chuckling to myself on the train to work. The main character Jimmy is a geek who lives with his Nan, and is told from his point of view.
The book is free and is a good set up for the next in the series, ending like a cliff hanger from the walking dead.
Will I buy the next one probably, i have a few more books on my kindle ready to read then I will
on 6 July 2015
I like dystopian type books, and I'm warming to the zombie genre,what makes it interesting for me are the surviving characters rather than lots of zombie's shuffling around killing people.I liked the fact that Jimmy the main character here was far from a typical main man type he was a book loving nerdy guy who has still never had a girlfriend,and he was all the more interesting for it.Its about Jimmy's development as well as the state of the world,I don't do spoilers so don't want to give too much away about the other characters,except to say I wish there was more variety amongst them, we seem to have several alpha type males who seem quite alike, and while I may want to be around them in an end of the world situation, so far they haven't stood out as characters for me, and unless I like the characters I don't really engage with them so I'm not bothered what happens to them and that means I may not buy the next book in the series.This one ended on a cliffhangar so I do want to know what is coming next but my lack of connection with the other characters leaves me in a dichotomy ,think i'll read a different genre next and see if I want to get the next book in this series after that,I wouldn't put anyone else off it, and as I said I do like Jimmy so might well carry on with this series.
on 17 December 2014
I hummed and haaad at whether I should give this book 3 or 4 stars, I decided on 4 Why? Because its actually worth it. Its not your normal run of the mill zombie book so read on for a taster................

The story begins with Jimmy and his grandmother, the owners of a small bookshop in the not so desirable part of town. Across the road is the mini mart where Jimmy goes for lunch most days, and where he sees the local druggie begging for money.

One night when he cannot sleep, hearing noises from outside he sees an argument going on and when he ventures outside meets a girl called Peaches, prostitute she maybe but virgin Jimmy doesn't realise.

His grandmother passes out and appears to be in a coma, most of town appears to have gone the same way, when the local policeman Robinson arrives, around the same time as Peaches appears the action begins, we have a zombie apocalypse beginning
on 22 February 2015
This is a very enjoyable post-apocalyptic story, well written with interesting characters. Not a typical 'zombie' story as the infected people fall asleep then awake hours later totally different to how they once were, and seemingly with erased memories. The story continues with book two, and I think there is a third. I just wish I could read a full story from beginning to end in ONE book, I'm getting tired of all these 'series' having to buy further books in order to finish the story. For me, this is the downside and why I have given four stars instead of five.
on 24 April 2014
For the scifi Fantasy fan an absolute must, Characterisations are believable, story line is very true to how I feel normal people might react in a similar situation, in fact I guess the book could be looked on as a training manual of sorts as some psycho or natural occurrence is bound to cause a similar situation (probably not Zombies), where we have to make similar decisions to ensure survival.
on 18 September 2014
Talk about leaving me hanging! I immediately bought the second book. Different to the usual zombie books, less blood and guts and a different twist on the standard zombie breakouts. The characters were all believable, the plot didn't have loads of twists and turns making it easy to read but still very much holding my interest and wanting to know what happens to this little group of survivors.
on 11 December 2014
Dead Highways book one is a fast paced, witty, graphic zombie apocalypse story - what's not to like? The lead character (Jimmy) is an innocent and naive soul living with his grandmother when all hell breaks loose. We follow his progress from hopeless to hapless to...well let's just say I have my suspicions that throughout the series of books he will become something of a hero.
on 1 February 2014
Stayed up past my normal bedtime and managed to finish this book in one go.
I had no choice but to devour every last page.
Well written and slightly different to to average zombie Novel.
My only criticism is that it isn't longer. But will now immediately by the next in the series.
on 26 June 2014
A twist on the normal zombie plot, good characters and a developing story line. Couldn't ask for more, ordered the second in the series as soon as I finished this. I hope Richard Brown keeps up the good work. Given 4 stars, worth 4.5 but not given the option. Value for money worth 5 stars.