The Daylight War (The Demon Cycle, Book 3) by Peter V. Brett

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Feb 2013 11:33:40 GMT
Loved the first book, half way through the second it is excellent. But the Kindle price is obscene, I have a Kindle which I really enjoy, but really £11.99 the paperback is £7.19!!!!!!

Posted on 1 Feb 2013 12:58:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Feb 2013 12:59:19 GMT
Fantasy-Fan says:
But the Paperback version is not available yet, hence the premium you pay for the Hardback or Kindle versions if you want the book early. (And the Kindle price includes VAT which the Paperback/Hardback versions are exempt from). No doubt the Kindle price will drop to a more reasonable level once the paperback is out.

I do agree £11.99 seems a little steep though - you would have thought they could manage a price of £8.99 at the very most. I worry that this sort of pricing is just going to encourage piracy. I know some people will always download pirate copies (but most of these people would never have paid for the book anyway). The problem is when prices are this high it drives some genuine would-be purchasers away and onto the pirate sites. That's a very bad move by the publishers if you ask me.

I for one will be waiting until the Kindle price is below £8, and I will buy the official copy then, but I would not be surprised if they lose sales on this one...

Posted on 4 Feb 2013 14:34:41 GMT
A. Rowan says:
I've been waiting for this book to be out for ages but I will be waiting until the price comes down. Publishers really need to think about how they price new kindle releases. I would be interested to know what the actual publishing price is versus the printed version. I understand that they want to make a profit but at least off set the price of the kindle versus the hardback. For instance, if I knew that it cost approximately £3 per hardback book more to bind and print then I would expect the kindle price to be that much less.

Is it selfish and naive of me to think this? Yes probably, but with the cost of everything going up I find I have less money to spend on my passion. Will that mean I consider getting a pirate version? No.

A final point: Regardless of whether the paperback version is out the kindle price should be a lot lower. There is no change to the production process for putting it into Kindle (if anything it is a lot less over time, long term hosting sites tend to be cheaper). Therefore I would expect no changes to price over a given time apart from to tempt new readers in. When will publishers wake up and realise that the Kindle price should influence the paperback price and not the other way around. I haven't bought a paper/hardback book for a few years now and read exclusively on my kindle/app.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2013 21:24:45 GMT
Jon says:
I've literally just put comments on iBooks store to this effect when I went to compare pricing. I don't feel you should be paying a premium for the kindle version as the hardback has the same release date.

Posted on 10 Feb 2013 02:09:33 GMT
David Derrico wrote an interesting article back in September 2010 about the cost breakdowns of books, where he pointed out that a hardback costs around $2.50 (£1.58) to print, while a trade paperback costs around $1 (63p), and a mass-market paperback costs around $0.75 (47p).

I don't mind paying the "get it early" tax on an ebook if it comes out at the same time as a hardback, but I do at least expect to see the printing cost removed from the price. Currently the Kindle version of The Daylight War is actually more expensive than the hardback, so I'll be waiting until the price goes down.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  1 Feb 2013
Latest post:  10 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about