Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 July 2014
When you read in the second paragraph of the Introduction that "Olympus now offers a new HLD-6 two-part battery grip" (that's for the OM-D E-M5 - the E-M1 uses a one-part accessory designated HLD-7) you realize this is a cut-and-paste of his E-M5 book, and given he now has a co-author (Dan Simon) it appears that some things disappeared down the cracks. Incidentally there is a three-line mention of the HLD-7 in the text (but not in the index), but no recommendation for its use - cameras with EVF are power-hungry, so a extra batteryreadily-available on a day's shoot is useful.

At 430 pages on coated paper this is a weighty tome - at a guess, heavier than an OM-D E-M1 plus a typical lens - more coffee table than for carrying in your camera bag as a handy reference. This is the first hard copy book I've bought in ages (I'm a fan of the Kindle) because the Olympus manual is in pdf format and I thought a printed text would be useful; therefore, size is a deterrent. Pity the original Amazon description as "looseleaf" wasn't followed - then it would have been possible to extract some of the more useful content for field reference and leave some of the "padding" behind. Also would have been useful distributing updates given the E-M1 is now on version 4 of the firmware.

That said, for new Olympus owners this is probably worth 4 stars - it's an improvement on the Olympus documentation; whilst for older hands probably not more than 2 stars. The price is reasonable
on 13 July 2014
I have this book and his Nikon D800 Guide. They are both very good and there are sections on memory cards, dust on sensors etc. that are word for word in both books. Both expand on the respective Manuals which is especially important with The OMD-EM1 as the PDF Olympus manual is so labyrinthine. Despite having used the camera for around 9 months, this guide clarified one or two points that I didn't realise I could do.
However the description of Geotagging is a little ambiguous. When discussing using the camera's built in WiFi with Olympus OI Share on a smart phone for geotagging, the author states that geotags can only be added at the time of image creation and that you cannot apply them afterwards.This is not the case as far as I have found. You switch on the OI Share app and enable geotagging: the camera times when a photograph was taken; the smartphone records a track with timing using its GPS; OI Share puts the two together later using the WiFi connection between the camera and the phone. As long as you don't delete the track in the phone, the geotags can be added at anytime. In fact this is the only way it works. If the camera WiFi is linked to the phone, I find that I cannot take a photograph without switching WiFi off. If he meant that your smartphone must be picking up the GPS signal as you cannot add a location later, of course you can. Adobe Lightroom will do this if you can remember where the photo was taken and can read a map!
on 8 August 2014
Not impressed! Rather than wait for this book to be released in the UK, I ordered a copy from Amazon US. Judging by other's comments, it is the same book and frankly, I wish I'd saved my money. It is no better than the olympus manual and is clearly a product of a desktop wordprocessor cut and paste exercise to squeeze another book out in the fastest time possible!
Having dredged through the book, I am none the wiser on how to use the Myset functions in any meaningful or practical manner. The author promises an outline of the settings he uses, which despite a detailed search, I have so far failed to find.
Sorry to sound negative, but I find it hard to find anything good to say about it.
on 8 July 2014
Having only read a few small sections of the book, I am surprised at a couple of recommendations.

The author recommends using a card reader to transfer images from the camera card to a computer. He says it is preferable to using camera battery power to transfer via the USB cable. As someone who has had hundreds of digital images corrupted by connection problems with card readers, I say this is bad advice, having gone from card readers to entirely cable transfer. What is so precious about that bit of camera power?

He suggests we "might like to" switch off the image stabilisation when the camera is mounted on a tripod*. It is not a choice, at least with my E-P2. Leaving IS switched on when the camera is tripod mounted results in slightly-displaced double images. (The same applies, in my experience (macro), when supporting the camera on a bean bag or with your hands resting on solid ground). * An identical comment is made in the equivalent book for the Olympus PEN E-P2.

That said, the book is very comprehensive and I am learning useful facts all the times, such as that I can use my removable VF-2 viewfinder (for my E-P2) on the E-M1 to give waist-level viewing. (In my case I will greatly welcome this for ground-level macro where the tilting rear screen does not do the job).

I would recommend the book (and the one for the E-P2). There is nothing which comes close to this series.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2015
Still reading it. It appears to be as well written as his book on the Em-5, which was good. Far more informative than what the camera manufacturer provides. This is a substantially sized book, nearly one inch thing.
on 26 May 2015
This is the second David Busch book that I have had ,it is the best instruction manual I have bought ,explains everything clearly with a certain amount of humour.
I would certainly recommend his manuals
on 14 October 2014
Useful bible for the EM-1. Original manual difficult to read, being small, and not so user-friendly. This 'manual', written in an easy to read manner. Good approach, contains tips for the Camera's use.
on 23 March 2015
i had another david busch guide to the canon 60d,and thisis written in exactly the same no nonsense way.it's packed full of information and useful tips,especialy the options for the very complcated menu system.
on 8 March 2015
Am from Ireland. I do not often write reviews, I feel I must do in this situation. I love this camera . This book by David Busch was little more than useless... even more useless than the Olympus Manual
on 21 September 2014
Having found the cameras' menu rather daunting, I was pleased to see this book was available. I found the ''manual'' issued with the camera rather vague and was hoping David Buschs' book would go into much more depth and detail. However, I found the major part of the manuscript was really about general photography and less about the E-M1 than I had hoped. I think the book has been quickly cobbled together in an effort to be the first of its' kind to become available.
Fortunately (I hope) I have another book on order through Amazon (Mastering The Olympus OM-D E-M1) which is due for publication in October and I am pinning my hopes that this will offer a more camera specific explanation of what is a wonderful piece of equipment
and allow me to use it to its' full potential.