Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£2.20

on 28 May 2015
There was a lot I was ready to love about this - cool sci-fi concept, check, computers and hackers, check, youngster taking down super mega corporation, check. And in a lot of ways these elements were all portrayed with a degree of realism that made Data Runner not any old YA Sci-Fi Lite. It had big ideas, and a level of technical accuracy that made it challenging and realistic.

But that, unfortunately, also came with a level of technobabble that at times made it close to unreadable.

I have a fairly high tolerance for technobabble. I'm relatively intelligent, a very forgiving reader, and I have a basic understanding of a broad range of science-y topics that gives me a way in to a lot of science fiction. But this started to lose me pretty quickly.

And it was a shame, because there was a great story here. I loved all the subterfuge and intrigue of the different corporations, and the idea of the 'sneakernet' - a network of data transfer powered by people running the data from one side of the city to another - was a fantastic concept. I liked the characters, particularly Jack - our protagonist - who was equal parts cocky and insecure in a very realistic teenage boy kind of way. But when you have to stop to reread a passage three times before you can start to get an inkling about what's going on, it really throws you out of the story.

After a while, I did start to get the hang of it, and found the second half of the book much easier going than the first as I began to wrap my head around some of the language. I have always thought that if a book needs a glossary, then the writer isn't working hard enough to introduce terms and ideas in a way that's accessible to the reader. At times when reading this book, I really wanted a glossary.

Perhaps technology is starting to lose me. Perhaps I'm just getting too old!

Rating: 3.5/5
on 20 September 2013
I jumped evey jump and rolled all the landings.
So easy to see a future like this where the corporations rule
and privacy is hardly possible.
Really good plot line geat affection built for the lead character and believable technology.
on 21 December 2014
Good book in dystopian vein, have read better but also looking forward to next instalment. Will keep reading as i do not give up on totally until I have the whole story. As a first instalment I am intrigued enough to carry on to the next book .
on 12 April 2015
Pretty good. Worth reading. A little confusing at the start but just keep reading and it will probably make sense.