Format: Paperback|Change

Amazon seems to have linked the reviews for both Darkness Hunts and Darkness Unmasked so that the same review is showing for both books so I've included each of my reviews below:

Darkness Hunts Review:

I've become really hooked on this series over the last few weeks so it'll be no surprise if I tell you that I absolutely devoured Darkness Hunts. Poor Risa seems to go from one fight for her life straight into the next one without a moment to even breathe let alone sleep or eat. Now she has managed to capture the attention of a murderer, one who is attacking his victims on the astral plane, somewhere that even Azriel can't help her so this time she really is on her own.

I absolutely love seeing how far Risa has come in this series, she has gone from strength to strength and although she makes mistakes she always comes back fighting. I think one of the things I love most about her is that she isn't invulnerable, she has impressive abilities but she still gets injured and she feels the after effects of a battle just like anyone else would. I can't even tell you how much I've been enjoying the relationship development between her and Azriel. I've been crazy about his character since the very beginning and desperately want to see the two of them work things out but it isn't easy for them when they are both so different. There are obviously deep feelings there though and I have high hopes that they'll work things out.

Another thing I'm really enjoying is seeing her connection with her sword Amaya, I have a feeling that this is only going to grow stronger with time and it will probably be the thing that saves Risa in the long run. I'm also glad we finally have some kind of resolution to things with Lucian. I've had a bad feeling about his character from the beginning and some of his actions in this book are despicable. I have to say the one thing that stopped this from being a five star read was Risa's reaction when she finds out what Lucian has been up to. I expected her to be outraged by the things he did and she seemed to take them far to calmly and in her stride. I would have been much happier if she had given him a piece of her mind and kicked him into touch.

Like all of the previous books Darkness Hunts has plenty of action, Risa is dealing with the aftermath of her attack by her father's enemies and at the same time trying to juggle the wishes of the vampire council and the Directorate who both need her help, she is having to keep secrets from the people she loves in the hope of protecting them from a madman all while she struggles to deal with her feelings for Azriel and the way he keeps blowing hot and cold with her. I just can't wait to see what happens in Darkness Unmasked!

Darkness Unmasked Review:

I've been on a bit of a reading slump for the last couple of days so I decided to pull out the big guns and I knew Keri Arthur wouldn't fail me. I was right, this series just get better with every instalment and Darkness Unmasked was absolutely fantastic.

Risa has already been through so much but the pace just never lets up and this story sees her facing worse challenges than ever before. Hunter has set Risa the task of tracking down a murderer, one who leaves her victims little more than a dried up, empty husk that has been encased in a mysterious web. As if tracking down a murderer that seems to be part giant spider wasn't bad enough she is still trying to track down the remaining keys to hell and more than one enemy has a vested interest in her succeeding quickly. Risa is juggling a lot of balls all while trying to keep her friends safe and stop the gates to hell from being opened permanently but now more than ever she is at risk of losing everything.

I really don't want to say too much about the plot of Darkness Unmasked because I'd hate to give spoilers but oh wow Keri Arthur does not hold back in this story and she takes Risa to dark places I'd never have dreamed of even in my worst nightmares. An old enemy makes a reappearance and as despicable as his behaviour was in the past that was nothing compared to what he has up his sleeve this time around. I was shocked and horrified by what happens, not just to Risa but also to one of her closest friends, and I have no idea who that is going to effect things for the rest of the series.

It isn't all bad though and one of the things I've been loving for the last few books is the continued development of Risa's relationship with Azriel. It's been so great to see Azriel become more human in his reaction to things, I've been fascinated by his character from the beginning but I love him even more now we're starting to see his sense of humour and how much he obviously cares about Risa. Their relationship has never run smoothly and they still have more challenges to face but I have hope that they'll be able to work things out eventually.

Darkness Unmasked had me on the edge of my seat and it's left me desperate to know what happens next. I'm thankful that the entire series is already available and I'm sure I'll be devouring the remaining two books very soon. In fact, I'm planning on diving right into Darkness Splintered as soon as I finish writing this review!
on 12 April 2013
I have to admit to swearing up a streak when I reached the final page of Darkness Hunts, I was *so* not ready for things to end there. I know Miss Arthur has a tendency to leave things hanging at the end of her books but that cliff hanger was a cliffie and a half - and the only thing that stopped me issuing death threats is the fact that dead authors can't finish their stories ;-)
I`ve enjoyed this series from the very first and I honestly couldn't care less about the similarities some people are pulling between Risa and Riley. In my mind there are going to be similarities - they're both werewolves, they've been a part of one another's lives since Risa was very young, Riley trained Risa with the help of Rhoan - and the list goes on. This book though is by far my favourite yet (but I've thought that after each one) and I am bursting to know if Risa and Azriel will get their H.E.A. And exactly why does Risa keep getting a wash of recognition over Lauren? Will Hunter ever solve Risa`s mums murder or use it to keep her working for the Directorate or the Council? What of Tao and the elemental? Does he really just need to learn control? I have all these (and so many more) questions that I don't think one book is going to cover it!
All in all I guess I just wanted to say I love, love, loved it and can't wait for the next instalment. Highly recommended for Keri Arthur fans and fans of paranormal / urban fiction in general (although if you're new to the world of Miss Arthur I would strongly recommend that you read the books in order because although there are references throughout the book that give a little background these are relatively few and far between and quite short. To get a real feel for the characters and to understand all the little nuances you really do need to have read the other stories first).
on 20 January 2013
Another brilliant book from keri, I loved the Riley jenson series, and this way I still get to hear about the characters in that series whilst reading a whole different story, if you are a fan of fantasy, action, romance this is the series for you, and also check out keri other work, fantastic.
on 8 May 2015
I've kind of been absorbing this series in the past few days in account of the fast moving narrative, but bloody bell this one had me jumping up and down in shock
Now that reaper and risa have decided not to ignore what's between them it's as if the stakes have been raised even more, this edition to the series feels like it's building to a climax, where I am genuinely unaware what will happen next
All kinds can say is thank god there's a next one available now
on 17 June 2013
And book five galloping from this stable does not disappoint, Risa is still looking for the keys, sees a side to Madeline Hunter that she wishes she hadn't. With her mouthy sword and her reaper firmly in hand she again pits her wits against evil and makes a discovery with explosive results (definitely satisfying).
Recommended.....hell yes and there is even a preview of book six. Oh spider haters beware!
on 7 June 2013
I've just devoured Darkness Unmasked and Ms Arthur has hit the jackpot once again. I love that whilst tying up several loose ends she has also ensured there are plenty more threads still hanging free which should ensure book 6 is a humdingder!!
I hate it when reviews reveal the plot so I will leave you with that!

AWESOME!
on 16 April 2013
Keri Arthur never ceases to captivate me. Her writing style is perfect! The story is amazing and so well thought out. This book keeps you guessing and I am left wanting more as always! I have pre-ordered the next book in this series! Cannot wait....if you like realistic characters and intersting worlds buy this book!
on 14 November 2012
Brilliant as usual. A good story and one you have to think about to remember what the characters are up to. Was wondering where the story was going and the twist sends it off in the right direction. Best read in order and I couldn't read it fast enough. When is the next one out!!!
on 3 April 2013
Im really hoping that this series will start moving along in the next book, so far its the same sort of thing in each book.
But i loved the Riley Jenson series so i am sticking to this series in hopes Riley will have more of an appearance in the next couple of books.
on 11 August 2013
Absolutely love this author! I have already purchased the next book in the series which is out in September, hurry up September! I would recommend this book to fans of Keri Arthur, was hooked from start to finish, another gripping read, thank you again!