Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 29 November 2011
Greig Beck's second Alex Hunter book is another rip-roaring ludicrous romp.

The frenetic pace kicks off immediately and doesn't let up. Nuclear materials, black holes and the threat of World War Three combine giving our hero and his gang a dangerous job to do. Throw in some nasty bugs and some religious fanatics and you've got yourself a book.

This is right up there with the excellent James Rollins for action/adventure combined with science, and I can't wait to see where Alex Hunter goes next.
on 5 October 2011
Let me just start off by saying this - I read this book in less than 4 days - I could not put it down. It was an incredibly fast paced story with exciting and realistic science as well as totally accurate geo-politics. Mr. Beck writes in a style that puts the reader in the story and immerses them in the characters and their adventure. BOTTOM LINE: BUY THIS BOOK - YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 February 2014
"This mission had long moved past being weird, now it was starting to get damn creepy"

Four and a half DANGEROUS Stars! A fast-paced science fiction, mystery, and military adventure novel, "Dark Rising" is the 1st in the series of 4 full novels by author Greig Beck on the adventures of Captain Alex Hunter, code name "Arcadian", the special forces team leader with the unusual capabilities. Amid a backdrop of high stakes political intrigue, the plot of the novel concerns strange activities observed by satellite in Iran near the Persepolis ruins, indicating the possible presence of some sort of dangerous technology. Alex and the other high-tech equipped Hotzone All-Forces Warfare Commandos (HAWCs) are covertly sent in with Israeli support personnel to investigate. Thus begins one of the wildest rides yet for the HAWCs. While the plot may seem vaguely similar in places to the Alex Hunter Antarctica novel, Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter), it is much better and different in general and shows Beck's ability to improvise on familiar themes among the novels. Beck cleverly introduces an unusually formidable bad guy whom the reader may alternately cheer for and cheer against. Those who are reading this series for the first time may be somewhat puzzled by Alex Hunter and his extraordinary powers, but they should either 'just go with it' and enjoy the fun or read the short prequel novella "Arcadian Genesis" first to get some of the Alex Hunter/HAWC backstory. Along the way in this novel we meet: unexpected Iranian desert dangers, Adira and Zach, Takavarans and Urakhers, the ruins of Arak, some wild grisly battle scenes, an unexpected hero, and Major Hammerson, as usual, watching everything. This is another enjoyable, 'page turner' novel about "the Arcadian" and his ranger-like forces in this addictive military action series. Highly Recommended! Four and a half IMAGINATIVE Stars! (305 pages, reviewed in Kindle text and text to speech mode. Next up, This Green Hell)
on 28 December 2013
I've read "Beneath The Dark Ice" which is the first book in the Alex Hunter series, this book being the second. Like the first book I enjoyed this one vary much. It's vary well written and is action packed. In this adventure our extra-Special Forces hero switches from the ice cold of the Antarctic to the searing heat of the Iranian desert. A secret weapon is being developed beneath the sands of the desert, a weapon so powerful that it could destroy the planet. Not only that but an alien creature is picking off our hero's team.

Well written, plenty of action and vary entertaining. I am looking forward to reading the third in the series.

A note on the Kindle version. I read this on Kindle Fire HDX, and it displays beautifully. No typos or poor formatting noticed.
on 30 January 2016
I Really enjoy reading Greig's Alex Hunter series, I first read Kraken Rising which I also thoroughly enjoyed. I then ordered the rest of the series Beneath The Dark Ice, Dark Rising, Green Hell, Black Mountain and Gorgon. I would give them all 5 stars, they are in the same area of Matthew Reilly and Jake Bible simply put, good rip roaring adventure, maybe not to everyones taste but I loved them!
on 12 October 2015
A good plot and an interesting escape from perilous caverns. Well thought through and a good read. None of his books are other than a quick exciting read but that's what these books are for.
on 1 August 2013
I like scifi and it's a credible story. The key characters have a bit of tension between them which adds interest.

There's enough detail to get the idea but not too much.
on 21 June 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was fast paced and with so much going on through the whole book, I found it very difficult to put the book down! Well worth the read.
on 9 May 2013
I love these arcadian books don't even think I have read them in the correct order but great just the same a good author discovered by accident but so pleased I did
on 3 June 2011
Another military techno horror from the author. This follows on fron Under the Ice but can be read stand alone. Plenty of action with its almost super hero, beautiful but deadly Special Forces lady, stalwart buddy, scientist geek and the usual cannon fodder. Nothing exceptional but a good, well written story. Worth the money.