Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 September 2005
Have managed to listen to this album through the official website, which is quite handy as I have received an email stating that the release has been put back a week as it has sold out!
I wasnt sure what to expect from the whole album as Wings of a Butterfly is such a strong single, and after seeing HIM live on Monday I was rather sceptical. But I can safely say that the whole thing is awesome. Best tracks for me: Wings of a Butterfly, Vampire Heart, Behind the Crimson Door & In the Nightside of Eden. I have now listened to the whole album twice.
For anybody who hasn't listened to HIM before, try it you might like it! I'm definitely going to try and convert a few workmates to the vocal talents of Mr Ville Valo.
VINE VOICEon 25 September 2005
Single "Wings Of A Butterfly" was a generic, but enjoyable, HIM track which being a fan, I thoroughly enjoyed. However, the album "Dark Light" is a different kettle of fish altogether. Now signed to a US label, HIM have actually taken some steps towards the mainstream.
Now when you've got Ville Valo on vocals, it's always going to bear some resemblance to the HIM of old, but they've cut down on the minor keys and posturing, instead embracing a big rock sound with gothic undertones, rather than the other way around. Hopefully, that will be enough to retain their fanatical fanbase, but will it be enough to embrace a new audience. I can't answer that question, but there are songs here that would easily cross over - "Under The Rose" being one, and the title track being another.
The title track in particular, might be the best song HIM have yet recorded. It's the one number where you see why the hired U2 and Cure knob twiddler Tim Palmer. Melodic, dark and anthemic, it's a bold step for HIM and one that, hopefully, will pay off.
But they haven't neglected the fans of old. "Vampire Blues", the retitled "Rip Out The Wings Of A Butterfly" (which was renamed for single release) and "Behind The Crimson Door" will all keep old timers happy. The latter would have been a better single, but might rock jut a little too hard. They save of the the best for last with "In The Nightside Of Eden". Chock full of minor keys, treated vocals and a charging guitar riff, it runs "Dark Light" a close second for the best track award.
I'm not sure how this is going to work for HIM. Roughly split 50/50 between old and new HIM, the old fans will buy it, but mutter about the change of direction. Whether they can cross over to a more mainstream image is in the lap of the gods. Their history and image is against them, but given a fair hearing, this could persuade others to cross over to the heartagram.
on 23 January 2006
I bought 'Dark Light' because I was hooked on the 1st single for the album 'Wings Of A Butterfly'. At first, I really disliked the album, thinking it was messy and more pop than gothic (as described by reviewers). I then decided to give the album a 2nd chance, and I listened to it properly. I decided that 'Killing Loneliness' is the best song on the album, with soft piano tunes that sound similar to HIM's previous 'Join Me' single. However, despite this, the song is definitely a track all goth/rock fans should listen to when feeling glum. 'Vampire Heart' is a catchy and rocky track, with strong vocals from singer Ville Valo and gothic lyrics.
I don't like 'Under The Rose' - mainly because it doesn't fit in with the sound HIM were trying to create within the album.
Darker and more melancholic tracks such as 'Face Of God' and 'Play Dead' are also one of my favourites, and are favoured by other rock fans too.
A great album!
4/5
on 2 October 2005
HIM are a fantastic band: unique, diverse, beautiful, exciting, rock 'n roll. Ever since a chance listening of 'Love Metal' I've become a HIM fanatic and purchased their whole back catalogue (worth checking out, curious reader). I counted down the days to Dark Light's release, knowing I wouldn't be disappointed.
First of, 'Dark Light' is quite a bit different from their breakthrough album 'Love Metal.' The band has evolved again and the overall sound is more sophisticated and mature. I'd say 'Dark Light' is a very apt title, because there is something almost gentle and soothing about this gothic album - and yet, the drums are heavy, the rifts are superb; it's almost like stadium rock.
Ville Valo has once again come up with some more thought-provoking, darkly dramatic lyrics and his voice has notably grown even more seductive over the course of the past two years. And the songs, in their essence...
This album is a low-burning marvel. Listen to it a couple of times and you unlock the key to some of HIM's best yet material. Title track 'Dark Light' is a gentle, melodic yet melancholic ballad, best listened to sitting in your room at night with moonlight pressing against your window! The urgency in opening track 'Vampire Heart' grabs at your own heart and doesn't let go. My favourites, however, are 'Under the Rose,' and 'The Face of God.' 'Under the Rose' grabbed me on the first listen. I wanted to sing, to cry, to dance, to grab my guitar all at once. It's incredible, in turns sad and uplifting, a typical HIM song with extra 'oomph' - just keep listening when that chorus fades away.
And 'The Face of God?' It gives me chills up and down my spine. Quite simply, it is HIM at their most sincere and beautiful.
If you're already a fan of HIM, then don't hesitate to buy this album. You'll love it. If you haven't heard their material before, then start here. Then go out and buy the stunning 'Love Metal,' the gothic 'Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights,' the pink(!) 'Razorblade Romance' and the fantastic, darkly delighting debut 'Greatest Love Songs 666' of this darkly delighting band.
on 30 December 2005
I eagerley anticipated the release of Dark Light having assembled the rest of the HIM back catalogue over the last 18 months. Needless to say i was not disappointed and have consequently played the CD to death (a fact which i'm sure Ville Valo would approve of!!) For me it is impossible to single out 1 track as a favourite because the whole CD is just fantastic.
I discovered HIM as a direct result of logging on to Amazon after buying Dead Letters by the Rasmus and HIM were a recommended artist and how glad i am that i followed that recommendation. I'm now experimenting with Nightwish, i have to say the music that is coming out of Finland is head and shoulders above anything being generated in the UK or the states.
But don't just take my word for it buy the CD's
on 14 December 2005
'Dark Light' was the first Him cd I bought, on the strength of seeing 'Rip Out The Wings of a Butterly' on the music channels. After getting into The Rasmus last year, and loving their last two albums, I figured Him would be on a similar level. I wasn't disappointed. 'Dark Light' is a fantastic album, with cleverly crafted lyrics and a strong melodic - but rock - undercurrent. I like every song, with my only criticism being that the song that bears the cd's name - Dark Light - is just a little too...ballad-like for me. But it is still a good song. Buy this album, I don't think you'll regret it. I'm not a teenager - I still love my eighties rock, but this is the new generation and it's great that I can find new, inspiring music to listen to.
on 13 November 2005
I ordered the Internet only Limited edition Dark Light Tin.
Absolutely Brilliant. I am a Massive HIM fan, and have to say. Dark Light is slightly different from other HIM albums.
Don't be scared.... HIM deliver to you the same "Grab you and refuse to let go" Riffs and Lyrics, with a clever switch between Dark and Light Music. The Light Tracks being beautiful lyrics and melodic guitars gently moving along hand in hand together. Then you have the Dark Tracks, punchy Drum beats,Drop tuned Riffs, Lead by Ville Valo's trademark Low as Hell Haunting Vocals. All of these qualities give you one of the best HIM albums so far. And believe me, It's very hard to choose which albums are the best, when every single song HIM do is a masterpiece... GET THIS ALBUM !!!!!
on 8 December 2005
I am a massive HIM fan, but i must admit the first time i played my 'tin box' copy of Dark Light i wasnt sure if i liked it as much as previous material - its a bit more mainstream i guess. But i was very tired at the time so didnt give it my full attention! But on a second listen i got it - now it is right up there with all the other records - its hard to pick a favourite as they are all quite different. But year, if you like HIM you should get a copy, no question!!
on 25 September 2005
I had heard that this album didn't have the oomph of the past 5, so I was a bit weary when I first listened to it. I shouldnt have worried - its every bit as good, if not better. If it doesn't grab you on the first hearing it will on the 2nd. A must for any HIM fans.
on 6 August 2011
This CD purchased as a replacement for one mislaid by the family. Wife and daughter both love the band and the albums they have. Personally, although I have wide musical tastes, HIM don't rock my boat!!!