on 18 January 2014
This is not a rating for the story. I liked this book, four start story in my opinion. The rating - is because the sequel never comes - eta for the next book was 2012 but as always Sylvia Day is writing too many sets of books to ever get to the end of this story for us lowly fans who liked her work from the early days. Every time one series out sells another, release dates get pushed back then disappear altogether.
66 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 June 2014
After finding this on my kindle with a published date of January 2014, I got very excited and down loaded it to find I had already got it back in October 2011. Because of the change in publishing date Amazon down loaded it. I have so wanted for Sylvia to finish this collection of books and others including the Crossfire Novels but still we wait. I refuse to read anything new off Sylvia Day its a big shame as she is really good but just has too much going on.
I'd heard the blurb about the RA series, but wasn't sure about buying the books, as although I like Sylvia Day's historical novels, I've not read any of her other stuff, really. The new series combines Angels, Lycans and Vampires (the latter are apparently, Fallen Angels) all vying for supremacy, and this was a good intro.

This is the tale of Raze, a secondary vampire character in the RA series, which came out at the same time as the first full-length RA novel, A Touch Of Crimson. We're told he's having an extended sex session at the start of the tale, when a dead body is dumped at his doorstep, bearing the kill-signature of a long-dead vampire and so he's off to the clubs of Chicago to investigate.

There's violence and fighting and it looks as if Raze is being set up, but all of that goes out of his head when he meets human Kim in a bar, who propositions him with a night of sex, no strings attached...but they find something a lot deeper and more meaningful than either of them had anticipated, and Kim becomes the chance for one of Raze's old enemies to gain revenge...

It was a quick, fast-paced read, with hot sex, and decent characters, which made me decide that I will be checking out the full-length novels, the first of which features the leader of the Angels, Adrian.
66 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2011
I wish Amazon had half stars because while this book doesn't deserve 4 stars, it definitely doesn't deserve 3! A definite 3.5

There was a lot about this book that I liked, but I just couldn't love it no matter how much I wanted too, although I have nothing but good things to say about it.

First thing, I really enjoyed both main characters. Raze was particularly lovely to read about.

Secondly, the story line was refreshing. I loved how even though it was set in an incredibly short time frame, it didn't feel forced or cheesy and that it didn't have some dramatic *all is happy* ending which wouldn't of fitted such a short novella.

Thirdly, I love a short book which is probably the reason I liked this as much as I did. Any longer I think I'd of gotten a little annoyed at Adrian, which leads me to worry about the first book in the actual trilogy that focuses on Adrian, with a storyline I normally avoid. Although I will definitely read it as I enjoyed Sylvia Days' writing style and I like the plot which included nearly ever PNR character you can think of!

In regards to another review that is thankful for the glossary - anybody who has a keen interest in Paranormal fiction will have absolutely NO problem deciphering the commonly used language, and will have fun working out Days' unique perspective.
on 7 July 2014
The story itself deserves 5 stars because I love the Renegade Angels series, BUT the sequels are way too long in coming. In fact I'm beginning to feel that she'll never actually finish a series. Sylvia Day has too many different stories going on and I feel it does show in some of her other books.
on 17 August 2013
I just got bored. It was a poorly written paranormal romance that tries to hard to be slick and dangerous rather than focused on any sort of plot, character development or much else.

The concept wasn't great and the writing style let it down further.

The male protagonist wasn't terrible. He reminded me of Jason Statham (bad boy, shaved head, dangerous) hence not a bad look. But his character was immature (obsessed with $ex and killing people **snore**).

I think this story is for people who enjoy adrenaline thrill of people dashing about killing people and having $ex and don't mind not having a story.
on 17 April 2013
Honestly, it was a little slow to get going, but it did bed in after a chapter or 2. I can't tell a lie, it's a short one - possibly it might have eased the start, if it had been slightly longer and the beginning of the story was told in a less rushed way, in other words a bit more substance to setting out the plot.

All of the above, makes it sound like I didn't like it ..... actually, I really did, it seems an interesting concept - the whole fallen angel thing.

If there were any typographical or grammatical errors they were so few that I didn't notice.

I'm looking forward to the others in the series, and given the above I think a 4 star read all round. Highly recommend for anyone who is in to vampiric tales.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 November 2011
Thank goodness for the glossary at the start of this book, otherwise I would be completely clueless. It doesn't help that I've not read "A Touch of Crimson" (the first full length novel available in this series) but this short novella doesn't really stand on its own feet.

There are fallen angels that are now vampires, humans that have been changed into vampires and an elite task force led by non-fallen angels (I think). Leading man Raze doesn't seem too particular in his choice of bed-mates, but of course this all changes when he dumps one interested woman to hook up with Kim for a one night stand.

What follows in a lot of bedroom athletics, plus some blood sucking on Raze's part; which strangely Kim doesn't batter an eyelid at. I love the premise of fallen angels, plus elite warrior angels fighting to keep all the bad guys in line, but this short story was quite chaotic; surprising considering how many pages were just devoted to the sex scenes. As a result there is quite a lot of action, plus the quick introduction of a large cast of characters in a very short period of time which just left me confused. Again I stress that perhaps this novella would have worked much better if I'd read "A Touch of Crimson" first. There is certainly enough promise in "A Dark Kiss of Rapture" to spur me to do so despite the low star rating. 2½ stars
on 23 June 2014
Did really enjoy this series but as its not a money maker has been pushed aside, at the moment I would not recommend this book as like me you will become hooked and then get nothing. Should the follow up be published as promised then my review would change but at the moment I feel very let down by the author who is chasing 'kink' rather than the novels that initially put her name out there.
on 29 January 2013
I first came across Sylvia Day's books as they were a recommendation, if you like 50 shades you will like this. I have read the crossfire novels but then when I got my kindle I saw that a touch of crimson was reduced I thought I would give it a go. I love the renegade angels series, it has everything I want in a book, vampires, sex, action, romance. I could not put this down, and for a free download it is well worth the read, I can not wait for more books to come out.