on 19 October 2013
His Dark Empire (Tears of Blood, Book One)

This new series by MR Forbes was released just before his third and last book, Broken, from the Divine trilogy. Having enjoyed the first two books of that series so much, I didn't hesitate buying the start of this new one immediately.

The story line revolves around a young girl (Eryn) who is Cursed, and Silas, an alcoholic with an unknown and potentially dark past. For the tears of blood she sheds, Eryn is forbidden to live - she is a danger to society and will be killed if discovered. Silas is a murderer - at least, somewhere in the fogged, alcoholic reaches of his mind, he knows he's done some terrible things.

A chance encounter with a cursed child results in Silas leaving the haze of alcoholic memory loss behind and kicks off a riveting, painful journey of discovery, loss and re-learning. Eryn and Silas's lives are thrown together when Eryn is discovered by his soldiers and escapes into a world of turmoil, hiding who and what she is and desperately trying to survive in a world of monsters and men who wouldn't hesitate to hurt or kill her.

Mr Forbes has once again written an outstanding tale. I'd have liked to see a little more world-building and perhaps some fleshing out of the characters as they developed but, overall, it's a fantastic first book in a new series we can definitely look forward to. Well done Mr Forbes!
on 11 September 2013
Not a book from my usual genre, having said that i was glad i did take the opportunity to read it. This is a very easy and enjoyable read - it flies past and keeps you turning the pages to see what happens next, throughout. I read this book as i'd enjoyed both of M R Forbes previous books from the Divine series, Balance and Betrayal.(a totally different type of story but equally as entertaining and original) I feel that this is a new author who will soon be up amongst favourites of mine Jim Butcher and Benedict Jacka.

I'm not going to put any spoilers in this review but will say i'm looking forward to seeing where the adventure leads.

Thank you for the entertainment, i look forward to the next installment.
on 1 September 2014
I enjoyed this book as a nice fun, light, easy read. It's not complex, it's not deep, and it's not particularly sophisticated, but I did have a good time reading it. There are lots of elements clearly taken from other stories, but there was enough that is new to keep me interested. If you want something to read through quickly when you're tired, this may well do the trick. Sadly the book is let down by a number of typos and continuity mistakes, but the plot moves quickly and is good fun.
on 16 May 2014
I feel somewhat conflicted on finishing this book. An interesting read and an enjoyable one but lacking in depth. Characters never really came to life for me and the continuity seemed a little jerky at times - jumping from one scene to another without much cushioning in between. Am certain it would appeal to those who fancy an easy, fast paced read but I would have enjoyed a little more subtlety. Saying that I will probably be purchasing the next in the series.
on 16 May 2014
Despite the pitch, & the expectation, I felt that reading this was like wading through a bowl of stodgy porridge!

There is nothing new, it's like he just picked other people's ideas & jumbled them together until he came up with a suitable frame to put them into.
on 11 May 2014
An interesting twist on a story of a young girl developing magical powers helped by an older mentor. But beware. The book only takes up 70 per cent and then you get 9 chapters of another book that you might or might not be interested in. Enjoy.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 October 2014
Easy to follow but not too predictable.
You get to grips with the story right away by there are some nice little twists and turns along the way.

I'm off to read number 2 in the series.
Would recommend :)
on 26 February 2015
A stumbling drunk and a 14 year old girl, who would have thought they would combine to make a very enjoyable and exciting story, read it for yourself and enjoy it as I did. Now for part 2
on 4 May 2016
I read this book and was sucked in .Secrets ,fractured families ,lies ,magic. The main characters were intriguing .A very different book .Recommended
on 8 June 2014
Liked the storyline a lot; downloaded this book for free and enjoyed it enough to purchase Book 2 so I could see what happens next.