on 27 January 2015
This book is so beautiful, so comprehensive that it almost makes me want to cry (why can't I write something this good lol).
It says it is about balls but it is actually more comprehensive than this taking in Regency manners, fashion, as well and every aspect of the ball... yes yes dancing, but also etiquette (woe betide the young lady who refused a gentleman's invitation to dance as etiquette dictated that she would then have to refuse all subsequent offers), the suppers, chaperones, transport to and from and the issues surrounding this. I am sure I've made this sound very dull but it is anything but. It is beautifully written, gorgeously illustrated makes it a delight to read. It will be one I shall go back to again and again.
on 15 February 2014
Susanna Fullerton’s slim volume is a good introduction to dancing and balls at the beginning or the nineteenth century. She provides some general background, then relates it to events in Jane Austen’s novels and to Austen’s own life.

For the reader who wants to know what their behaviour at balls tells us about Austen’s characters, there is much to enjoy and the book is an excellent companion to the novels.

The illustrations are pretty, but they are rarely referenced in the text, which is my only criticism of the book.
There’s a lot of information here and I’ll go back to it time and again.
on 29 July 2014
good informative interesting read.
on 25 December 2012
This book can and will be useful to learn to dance - to dance like Jane Austen or her characters do in her novels.
I myself am looking forward to studying it and learning!

I hope others will think it will be a brilliant and useful book!