DVD buyers only - Read this FIRST if you own a widescreen TV.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Jan 2012 16:22:50 GMT
This DVD is formatted for a 1.33.1 TV and is NOT anamorphic. You will need to zoom the picture in to fill a 16:9 screen thus reducing the image quality. Furthermore the UK Region 2 release of the DVD has never been released as an anamorphic version regardless of the front cover. I owned the first version of this DVD (the disc is exactly the same) and sold it many years ago to buy the US Region 1 [NTSC] DVD which IS anamorphic. The image quality is a lot better and the extras seem to be the same as the UK version.

This can be bought here:
Thing [DVD] [1982] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 23:14:14 GMT
Thanks Christopher - I just came on here to ask that very question. I've got a DVD edition from a few years ago that's as you describe, and I was thinking about replacing it with the new edition I've started seeing around since the new film. Are you saying that the edition with the white cover that just came out is still exactly the same as previously?

Posted on 22 Jan 2012 12:15:40 GMT
Do you mean this one: The Thing [Blu-ray][Region Free]? This is a Blu-ray and is okay for widescreen TVs. It's only the DVDs that were made for 4:3 TVs.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012 12:29:14 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jan 2012 12:32:40 GMT
No, I mean the DVD that's got the same cover as the Blu-ray. I've seen it in HMV and Blockbuster; Amazon just haven't updated the artwork yet. But then they don't even seem to be listing it as a re-release at all, so maybe it IS just the old disc with a new cover. Not to worry.
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/2440/The-Thing/Product.html?searchtype=r2alldvd&searchsource=0&searchstring=the+thing&urlrefer=search&strefer=r2alldvd&searchfilters=s%7bthe+thing%7d%2bc%7b57%7d%2b

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012 18:32:39 GMT
Not sure. It probably is just a re-release of the old DVD disc. I recently bought the Blu-ray with the new same cover and that is just a re-release of the old Blu-ray disc.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  2 Jan 2012
Latest post:  22 Jan 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Thing [DVD] [1982] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Thing [DVD] [1982] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] by Kurt Russell (DVD - 1998)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (248)