Customer Discussions > Ponyo [2 Disc Edition] [DVD] forum

DTS HD-MA...in Japanese!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jun 2010 16:33:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jun 2010 17:05:10 BDT
I just received the UK Blu-Ray/DVD combi this morning. They must have listened to the many complaints by our American friends - gone is the the lossy Dolby Digital track...it's been replaced with an LPCM 5.1 track in English and.....da daaaa...drum roll...a DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1 track in the movie's native Japanese.

To be truthful, I didn't notice too much of a difference in the English LPCM track, but I don't really have enough experience with the Japanese tracks to offer much of an opinion, but I will say that both are AMAZING. However, I'm sure those more experienced than I, or with better equipment than I, will appreciate the lossless master audio track in the native tongue.

Shame they never got rid of that DREADFUL English pop bastardisation of the end credits theme, but thank god it isn't present on the DTS master audio track in Japanese. When listening in Jap, at the very point it goes from the English translation of the original theme to the rap version (if you were listening in English), the Japanese track just goes silent. Erm...that sounds confusing....let me put it another way: In Japanese, half the credits are with the original Japanese song...and half are silent. In English, half the credits are with a faithful English translation of the original song...and then it breaks out into the rap crap. Still, we got a *much* better deal than the yanks...which is always nice, considering we pay a lot more.

Posted on 8 Jun 2010 21:48:07 BDT
M. Car says:
Wow! Great news! Maybe it helped that I wrote Optimum an e-mail concerning the lossless audio. :)

Posted on 9 Jun 2010 19:35:23 BDT
Well done....every little helps. I guess they must have been torn, as they are trying to market it primarily to kids after all...who I guess would mostly play the movie in English, yet they're getting complaints from us adult Ghibli collectors. Still....Blu-Ray has the capacity to please us all. I think I heard someone say about 9GB went begging on these discs, so perhaps they could have given us DTS HD-MA in both English and Japanese. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  7 Jun 2010
Latest post:  9 Jun 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions