Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 15 August 2014
Cyrano de Bergerac is a cracking play. Though it's Moliere that's more often used as a French answer to Shakespeare, Edmond Rostand's Cyrano has to be about the only riposte to Hamlet available in human literature. Philosopher, poet, swordsman, soldier and wit, there is an underlying fatalism to Cyrano. He knows in his heart he is doomed, and his determination to stick to his principles, even in his final moments, elevates his character above just about any you can think of, with the possible exception of the Dane.

There are excellent translations of Cyrano by Anthony Burgess and Brian Hooker, but I'm afraid you do really need to read it in the original French, much as I generally loathe people who say that sort of thing.
on 3 December 2015
Avec Cyrano, Edmond Rostand est au theatre ce que Mozart est a la musique, un pur genie. C'est la cinquieme fois au moins que je relis cette piece et a chaque fois, je suis emu et abasourdi devant tant de beaute et d'intelligence.
on 4 November 2014
A pleasant pocket book and enlightening for our French group to read and translate. It will keep us engrossed for many weeks to come.
on 10 August 2013
My childhood preferred story, so I like it.
Agin and again amazon insist on more words than what I want to write.
on 4 January 2013
I'm not sure why dvd reviews are appearing for this book. It is, however, a wonderful play, and I highly recommend i.
on 12 February 2015
One of the classic that everyone must read at lest once in life!!
on 13 September 2015