on 29 December 2015
All my favourite paranormal creatures thrown together with cupcakes – what fun to be had! Goes down as another off my 2015 Reading Challenge – A book with magic. This one definitely has its fair share of magic.

Intricate story involving a lot of characters that all seem to radiate towards Jade. She draws people to her no matter who or ‘what’ they are. This story is about her finding herself, and trying to not always hide behind her grandmother and mother.

Jade knows about magic but has always thought that she didn’t carry much within her. They only thing she thinks she can do is make amazing cupcakes (with quite interesting names!) and draw magic to her, or more to the point magical beings. When they are around she can almost feed off their energy, which makes her feel alive. Her life has always been about following the rules (unlike her wayward sister) but when a vampire turns up at her cupcake shop they seem to get thrown out the window. He brings with him his own troubles. When he insists that he is there to see if she is the one that has something to do with the recent bought of murders she can’t help but think that she has stepped into the twilight zone. This is a story that consists of a very interesting mix of witches, werewolves and a vampire. Put them all together with some murders thrown into the mix to solve and you have yourself a party.

You are practically begging Jade to get with at least one of the hotties that have crossed her path though throughout the book (my monies on the vampire later in the series). There are some very fine specimens to choose from – even if they might scare her a little at first. You have a vampire, werewolf, werecat or the human lawyer to choose from. So tell me, who would you think is the most tempting or scary?

Some parts of the story are a bit predicable and the ending is seen a mile off but I was still drawn into the world that has been created. I am intrigued to see how Jade will grow into a much more confident and assertive woman now she knows that truth about who she is and what she is really capable of.

on 26 February 2015
The heroine bakes cupcakes and does some light magic, but things get fraught when she finds vampires and werewolves making her acquaintance. Except for the cupcakes, this genre isn't really my cup of tea. Nonetheless I found it enjoyable light reading. It's well written, well-paced and a bit of fun, though it seemed to owe at least a small debt to Janet Evanovich's Wicked. The answer to tne big mystery was probably obvious to everyone but the heroine. But even I was intrigued about the secrets unrevealed, and I wouldn't rule out reading the next in the series.
on 13 June 2015
I really enjoyed it; Witches, vampires, shape shifters and zombies - what more could a fan of Urban Fantasy wish for! ;-)

The journey of self discovery that our main character Jade experienced was exciting, scary, traumatic and at times also very funny even though the big bad in this story came as no surprise to me.

It was lovely to see Jade grow in confidence as the tale progressed and although this book is cliffhanger free I'm excited to read the next book on this series to find out what Jade gets up to next!!!
on 27 July 2014
Fabulous book it was awesome. Loved the characters and the story. I think that the book lacks a twisty plot as the bad guy is very apparent but that being said heart book x
on 23 October 2014
This was an ok read. Fairly well written and edited, no concerns on that front, but let down a little by the predictability of the story and the cookie cutter cliche of the characters.

I agree wholeheartedly with a previous reviewer who says that this is a good beach read. It's perfect to take on holiday and just pass the time with. I enjoyed it, but I'm glad it was free and I'm not tempted to pay for the following books.

I found the main character of Jade to be rather dislikeable. She's got far too much of a 'too good to be true' vibe about her.
The storyline is pretty much; cute, bouncy, yoga-doing, blonde half-witch meets icy cool vampire and hot tempered werewolves, discovers she's more important that she thought she was, defeats the (rather obvious) baddie, has happy family reunion and returns to baking cupcakes.
There's not really anything wrong with it, it's just very very linear. Nothing much in it surprises you, there are no real twists (by real I mean ones that you couldn't see coming a mile away), and the characters could literally all have been cut from 'how to write a basic teen novel'.

I would recommend this if you're after nothing more than an easy, lighthearted read, but not if you're after any depth.
on 29 March 2016
There's a lot of mediocre fiction in the free urban fantasy kindle store so it's really exciting to find a gem of a writer like Meghan Ciana Dodge. This is the first series in ages that I ended up buying all the follow on books. This book is very readable but the series actually gets more engaging as it goes on (I didn't totally love the first book but I liked it enough to buy book 2 and ended up hooked). Some reviewers mentioned an issue with proofing and yes if you are easily riled by the odd typo this book isn't for you ( passed/past and a possessive s issue) but honestly it speaks to an editing issue not a bad writer and wasn't intrusive. The other thing to be aware of is that there is another series (Oracle) which starts between Dowser 3 and 4 - Oracle 1 is referred to loads in dowser 4 and while you don't need to read it, it makes sense to do so - the reading order is in the books but not clear on amazon - maybe "I see me" could be labelled oracle 1/dowser3.5?
on 3 February 2014
This is the first in a new series of paranormal urban fantasy novels and is a solid foundation on which to build an excellent addition to the genre.The heroine is a half witch who is unaware of the true level of her powers.She is an appealing heroine and her character has a great potential for development.The other paranormal characters include both vampires and werewolves neither stereotypical and interesting in their own right.Throw magic ,murder and mayhem into the mix and you have an engaging , entertaining ,well written novel.I Will definitely look out for the next in this series and would recommend this book.
on 18 October 2014
Just OK I am afraid. It has not induced me to search out more in the series, or even by this author.
on 14 June 2016
I really liked this book. I wanted to read it pretty much only because of the cover. The worst part about that is that it makes me hungry. Like look at that gorgeous cupcake!! The book was not as gorgeous as that cupcake but still pretty great. It was a fun and entertaining read that I enjoyed pretty much from the first to the last page.

Full review over here: [...]
on 17 August 2014
It's well-enough written, clever idea, but not my sort of book so I didn't finish it.