on 28 August 1999
The little book was my first real introduction to Taoism, and it blew me away! It started me on a journey that will probably last a lifetime. Ms Wong's treatment of the history of the different schools of Taoism and the tantalising promise of the Hui Ming Ching - long life and a good "death" certainly engages ones heart and mind. She writes beautifully and with great authority. She is clearly a serious scholar of Taoism, and a wonderful "interpreter" for the Western mind of this ancient philosophy and practice. Don't expect to be able to put it all into immediate practice though! Ms Wong cautions that to do that you need to find a true Taoist teacher. I'm still looking. I just wish I lived around the corner from Eva Wong as I think she would be an excellent teacher.
0Comment28 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2011
The author states at the beginning that she is OK with writing the book because she does not reveal any of the secrets seekers need to achieve what she writes about. This is true. There are esoteric understandings but if you pick up the book to learn the practical techniques needed to put the understandings into practise, you will learn nothing.
on 23 December 2015