Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 2 January 2012
Crossroads is book 7 in the Anna Strong Chronicles a UF series by Jeanne C Stein. Anna is a bounty hunter who lives in San Diego in the past year she was accidently turned into a vampire when she was attacked and raped. It is an existence which she reluctantly accepts. In the previous 6 books we have seen Anna get into all sorts of scrapes and at the end of the last book she finally took her place as the Chosen, a vampire in charge of all vampires. I don't think this is a series that will suit everybody. I find the writing a bit more mature and whilst there is tons of action the pace is a bit slower and for those reasons I really like it.

As with all of the earlier books I really enjoyed this instalment. I did however find that the book seemed to be 2 stories. There was the beginning of the book which dealt with Anna's life in San Diego then the second half which dealt with Anna's time in the desert. Both parts were equally good but I just thought it was a bit strange. It wasn't until the end of the book that I remembered the beginning and didn't understand why it was included. So it was in what I am calling the first part of the book where I was really missing the were-panther Daniel Frey, then low and behold not only does he make an appearance but the whole second part is all about him. He and Anna travel to the desert, in particular to a Native American reservation where his ex- girlfriend and son live. I thought Ms Stein's world building was very vivid and creative and I could easily imagine the landscapes. I like Anna and it is interesting to see her powers as a vampire grow and slowly see her humanity wearing away. One of the main points in the book is that Anna thinks and cares too much about humans but her vampire side is coming out more and more and she is finding it easier to kill. The story was very good and kept me guessing all the way. There are some sad moments too so keep a tissue handy. I thought this was a really good and enjoyable book. There is only 2 left in the series and I can't see how it will end but I will be along for the ride anyway. I would like to give Crossroads 4 stars.