on 9 January 2003
This is a book about the relationship between individuals and the organisations they work for, encouraging each of us to assert our own individuality and identity more courageously to shape our working lives. David Whyte argues, and I believe too, that this will benefit both individual and organisation. He makes a case, through the persuasive power of his own writing, for the vision and influence that poetry can offer the business world. If this is a "business book" it's an unusually well-written one, that should be read by anyone who works. As a "business writer" I share David's belief in the relevance of poetry and creative writing to our lives at work. I'm delighted to read a book that adds weight and insight to my own life and writing.
on 13 August 2002
Fold away the flip charts and switch off the PowerPoint presentation is Whyte's advice to business leaders and anyone who would prefer not to be where they currently are. Instead, hold meaningful conversations with the people around you. These conversations go beyond chatting about what was on TV the previous night and are ones that come from a deep sense of an inner journey.
Whyte is a poet and writes as a poet. His use of metaphor throughout is excellent and challenges the reader to reach within their own imagination. That is what he is recommending: reach within your self and find that which drives you, excites you, makes you angry or passionate. Connecting with the inner workings of the imagination starts off a journey of self-discovery and expression leading to greater fulfilment and authentic existence.
Although Whyte is not aware of this, complexity scientists have reached this point too. So his writings are more than the ramblings of a poet. They are based on a solid foundation of normal human identity, communication and group dynamics.
I recommend this book for those seeking inspiration and those trying to encourage creativity. However, do not expect the bullet point crispness of other management books. This book is about creating your own solutions.
on 7 February 2002
I found myself crossing my own unknown sea while reading this book. It constantly pushed me to thresholds of understanding about my own work and what I want from it. The author's life and adventures are quite amazing unusual and compelling but I found that he constantly grounded the metaphor of his own journey into the realities that many of us face in the office or the commute. Beautifully, even hauntingly written, Crossing the Unknown Sea gave me just the grand perspective I needed to make some crucial courageous decisions in my life. Buy, beg or borrow this book, it is a real tonic for the those of us sometimes overwhelmed by the huge demands of work and career.
on 26 March 2014
Tremendously well described basis for how work can and should fit into my (or your) life, and why. Great examples from the author's own experience, anecdotes, poetry and beautiful prose, and anything else it takes to help me create a picture of where I could be, why that could be a better place, and how I could, slowly or quickly, move in that direction and generally reduce the frictions, stress and conflicts of everyday life. A life-changing book and a pleasant and beautiful read at the same time. Unclear why not in print in the UK!!
on 29 May 2011
This was the perfect antidote to my depressive work situation of a dry office job and idiot boss. I love David's writing. I bought quite a few career books but this is the one that really spoke to me - yes it takes a more poetic and philosophical perspective but it restored my drive and determination to pursue my passion and get some meaning back into my life. I particularly enjoyed the accounts of David's personal experiences along the path of his career.
on 20 December 2014
I am deeply suspicious by nature of 'self help' books, but was reluctantly persuaded to buy this by the facilator of an 'Artist's Way' course I attended. I was hugely disappointed. The book is endlessly repetitive and has one idea that came to the author as a young man. I persisted for about 50 pages before binning it.
on 6 December 2007
I love this book. I re-read it very recently in a time where I faced a major question affecting my integrity at work, and it was enormously helpful. Perfect for anyone who has a poet within them and wishes to engage in an on-going exploration of what that means in a work context.
on 24 July 2002
Mr Whyte's works explicate my deepest feelings and motivations.
This book is a must read for everyone over the age of 40, wishing to resolve what they want from their work in the present and future.
This book is a must read for everyone under the age of 35 who feels they are stuck on the corporate treadmill.
This book is a must read for anyone, who like myself, marvels at great poets' works and doesn't quite get what they mean. Mr Whyte applies the genius of Keats profoundly, to explore the gap between Baby-Boomers and X'ers, and provide insight into how the world is changing.
If you are seeking insight to change your life, the answer lies within.