Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 November 2007
i have found as a beginner its all abit confusing, what hooks? yarn etc and think its good to get one book and stick to what it says rather than gathering an assortment of advice from many books as they seem to contradict each other in tips and techniques. the dummies quide is a great start point for anyone new to crocheting, the instructions are straightforward and the diagrams are clear. the stitches explained are the very basic stitches so you aren't baffled by instructions way ahead of your experience. hooks, yarns etc are explained in a clear and concise way. my only gripe is that the patterns included, although very basic and great for the beginner, are very dull and uninspiring, yes they practice the basic techniques taught within the book but hey, a little imagination wouldn't of been amiss, but apart from this its a great book.
on 18 November 2009
this is a good book, full of detail etc, and ideal for the beginner, with one exception. it is written by and published by americans, which is fine for the american market, but british crocheting uses different names, etc. so be aware if you are british that this book leans towards the american crocheter.
on 23 September 2009
I have never been able to master the art of Crochet but I find this book very helpful, the instructions and illustrations are simple to follow. As a result I have felt confident enough to take my first tentative steps at crochet. Would happily recommend others who find themselves unable to tackle the craft.
on 19 September 2010
I couldn't get past the basics. Perhaps I'm not a diagram sort of person but I expected this to get me off to a flying start and I'm still left with a plain old ball of yarn. Maybe once I know what I'm doing it'll all make more sense, but surely this book should be perfect for an absolute beginner? I'm off to watch some demos on youtube.
on 17 February 2011
This books looks great but has one major flaw it is based on the American market. No Where in the description of the book does it give you this information. Had I known I would NOT have purchased it as the Americans use a different system to the UK which is baffling. SO in order to sort out my errors and learn new stitches I have to get into US mode.
Other than that I thnik the concept is great.
Does anyone know if there is an English version available??
Sarah
Crocheting for Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback))
If you want to learn how to crochet and have a lot of the terms and methods explained then please buy this wonderful, helpful user guide. I was a crochet novice but I've just finished my first scarf, after only a couple of days, and I'm so proud (I know it's silly but it looks so nice!!). There's a lot of content from hook types/sizes, materials, how to hold the yarn properly, complex stitches, patterns, etc. I'm not ready for a big project yet, making a sweater for example, I'm just slowly working my way through the book and learning stitches and shapes to build up my confidence. I found the information easy to read, cleanly written, simple to follow and there are plenty of illustrations to help you out. I don't have a negative about the book but; I do have a word of advice. Yarn can be incredibly expensive, really expensive, so work out your budget and the cost of your project in advance. I was shocked by how much it can cost to knit and crochet your own garments. I bought a pile of woollen jumpers and cardigans, in excellent condition, from a local charity shop and spent a couple of days unravelling them to use for my first attempts...cost a couple of pounds and worked out fine for me.
on 6 July 2011
This is a terrific book if you are trying to learn to crochet. BUT be aware the 'lingo' is American so you need to be careful with stitch names and needle sizes as these are different to the English ones.
on 9 February 2010
I can recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn to crochet or take a refresher. Easy to follow instructions and explanations.
on 5 May 2012
If you want a book that covers ALL the that you need to know for teaching yourself to crochet then this one is ideal it covers both left and right handed instructions and has loads of information.
on 1 November 2011
If you havn't done any crocheting before or are a beginner this is a very good book. It gives very clear diagrams and is very easy to understand for both the right or the left handed stitcher.