on 19 January 2011
This is one of my favourite films ever - very very odd, part documentary about Wilhelm Reich and his bizarre ideas about sexual energy, part love story set in communist Yugoslavia. The sheer exuberance juxtaposed with melancholy and cut to scenes of cine-verite take your breath away. Definitely original at the time - it won the Cannes palme d'or - and very touching today, with a shock /humorous ending which in its way, is uplifting.
on 28 December 2014
super
on 5 January 2014
I admit that I haven't bothered watching the whole film. Surrealist films aren't my thing. As for Yugoslavia, I always considered TV programs from that nation to be surprisingly lewd and over-sexed. And I grew up in Sweden! Funny anecdote: Poul Fersling, who wrote an encyclopaedia of the occult popular in Scandinavia, erroneously refers to "The Mysteries of the Organism" as "The Mysteries of Orgasm". Since Wilhelm Reich was a psychoanalyst, I suppose we could call this "a Freudian slip", lol. And then, maybe not. I *have* seen selected footage from this movie. Yes, it features Nazis, Communists and...well...liberated Yugoslav girls. Probably not your Adriatic port of call if you're seriously interested in the mysteries of orgone. Two stars.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse