Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 April 2013
I'd heard that the Andrew Loomis estate didn't want to republish these books & that has always been a great disappointment
I was overjoyed when I saw these titles & even more so when I received my copy of this book
it totally exceeded my expectations, just the size alone was more than I expected. I giggled like a little school girl when I opened the box & saw it
I can't wait to get the other four & maybe you'll [ie amazon] will get "The Eye of the Painter" too - what about his mysterious 7th book???

if you're learning art & hopefully teaching yourself then you can go no wrong with buying these five books by Andrew Loomis, in fact you won't have to bother with anyone or any thing else, as professional artists that make a good living from art have told me "they won't teach you this in any school"
on 8 December 2012
An excellent book on both the gritty technique of drawing and as an inspiration.

Lavishly illustrated and gorgeous to look at it, it is both useful and inspiring.

Contains colour plates as well as black and white illustrations.
on 27 December 2015
WOW, a true expert in creating a picture, whether for an advert or for art.He explained it well and offers his all to you the reader.A must have for people learning to create pictures with monotone or colour. It may be 70 years old but it still has a place in teaching art, more so than most books.
on 21 February 2013
Very good book on illustration particularly on design and composition.Excellent instructions on the importance of value in painting both in black and white and colour.

Colour theory was always a little difficult for me and though the chapter on it seemed a little daunting Loomis explains how to relate colour easily though it is a bit of a heavy read as you'd expect from something so complex.

One of the best books ever written about illustration from one of the masters.

A must have for any serious artist or anyone serious about improving their work.
on 13 April 2014
I'll try to keep it short and with content other reviewers haven't said:

Beautiful layout and a really well made book. Thought it may have been more budget due to being an old reprint.

Content is wonderful (read the other reviews). It does show it's age. The style of the writing particularly is old American English. And it was before the psychology of short and sharp paragraphs with lots of spacing so expect nice big chunks of prose with which Mr Loomis articulates ideas. I personally prefer it this way. It adds a certain charm and conveys the authors meaning very clearly.
on 18 May 2015
I liked this book very much. As a beginner I found the chapters on edges,tone, colour and technique invaluable . Though this book was written decades ago its content still applies. I liked the style that it is written in and the detailed explanations from the author. Well worth the money in my view.
on 2 December 2015
Very useful book
I've got all of Loomis's books, and I reckon this one is the weakest of them, not because it is in any way lacking, but because illustration has moved on hugely since this book was written. There is much to learn from Loomis's technique, but his other books offer that knowledge better than this one. Having said that, it's a very handy resource if you happen want the look of the period. The chiselled men and the demure females have that glamorous film star look, of course, and Loomis puts that across excellently. The graphics are some of Loomis's best. 21st century illustration is a different world, and much of it is handled in computer-based illustration packages. As a thing of its time, this book is a wonderful thing, and it goes well with the other books in the series. I have it mainly to make-up my Loomis set.
on 13 February 2014
This was bought for my teenage daughter, who selected it herself as being of interest. She is very pleased with it.
on 27 December 2015