Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 June 2012
I borrowed this book from the local library in October 2011 and found it quite usuful in outlining basic html structure and formatting techniques. As a result, I bought a copy. The book is reasonably in depth - it won't describe every html element, although sometimes goes off on a tangent away from raw html, like using Web Page Editing software such as Dreamweaver. I have always believed that it is far better to learn the nuts and bolts of html rather than use a piece of software to generate it - when you run into problems or need to edit your code, unless you know the underlying html, you're stuffed.

The book does go into reasonable detail describing current HTML5 syntax ie. tags which are accepted under the standard and only briefly mentions ones which are not supported. In that respect, this book is up to date and informative. It is also well written and easy to read, without being laborious. It does have some black and white illustations which help to break the dull text.

My only criticism of the book would be that it could be improved by using a working web site throughout the book rather than disparate examples. That way, the user would see their creation being built from scratch, instead of by ad hoc pieces. Apart from that the book is quite informative and very useful for a beginner to html.
VINE VOICEon 2 August 2013
Of course this review is written for the third edition, I have earlier editions. By now there may be later editions. Why all versions will work there is always something new and a different way to tackle "Creating Web sites"

The nice thing about this missing manual is that they assume you are starting from scratch and bring you up to snuff before describing the more exotic parts. The manual is not just a technical manual but covers the philosophy and purpose of websites.

I came to this book a tad backwards. I first read The Missing Manual on HTML5. Then I realized I needed this book to fill in the blanks.

I cheated and started a website with my eyes closed. Now a am using this book to go back a flesh it out.

Even if you know what you are doing it is always nice to see from a different angle.
on 10 September 2014
If you want a good overview of how things work, this is recommended. Sure, you may know some of it, but I bet the average reader will find many useful insights, particularly if you're new to the nuts and bolts of ads, search rankings, etc.

I bought this (the Kindle edition - for use on my PC and Android phone) after reading the paperback copy from my public library. Now I just need Santa to deliver a PaperWhite Kindle for Xmas :)

The Missing Manual series - and, as mentioned in another review, especially this author (Matthew MacDonald), are books I trust.
on 20 January 2012
Does what it says "The missing Manual" Well written and comprehensive. Covers all you need to get going with creating a website and explains the various technologies and how they fit together, HTML, CSS, JScript etc. Would recommend to beginner or intermediate.
on 29 January 2013
Very informative and easy to read and follow example coding. Good all round book for beginning website creation and also reference to fall back on.
on 18 July 2013
Just bought so cannot say more than it looks impressive and particular to my needs for creating a website. Looks easy to follow.
on 18 November 2013
This book has done just what I wanted and made a complex subject very simple. Congratulations to the author from me.
on 11 September 2012
This is an awful, awful, awful book. If it were possible to rate this book in minus stars, I would have done. The author's writing style is simply bad (here's a hint Mr. MacDonald; anyone picking up a book on creating a website WILL have a basic grounding in the subject, so don't talk to your readers as if it is the first time they've seen a computer), and the subject matter is even less advanced than the free W3 online manuals.

I brought this book on Kindle, and it highlights one of the basic problems with the technology - had I flipped through this book at the bookstore, I would have realised that the sub-basic introduction never develops into useful information, and I would have put the book down and walked away. The Kindle means that you have fewer research opportunities, and that you are obliged to put up with poor purchases like this one.

Don't waste your money, you can get better basic information about HTML and CSS free on the web (and it is more likely to be up-to-date), and you won't have to put up with this author.
on 16 May 2011
This is a book of all books to set you up to make the best website possible. The tools are valuable and the approach to making and understanding how it all hangs together is wonderful.!!

worth the wait!
on 15 November 2011
Great book, very useful for a beginner, offcourse you should have some knowledges, but its very well explained with some clear examples too.