on 30 September 2005
This book was hilarious the first time around. However, it seems it has offended some people who are obviously proud of the towns in which they reside.
To be honest this is no work of a genious, it is based on opinion and it takes about 5 minutes to flick through. But you have to admit that the people that wrote this book do have a point about the grotty places they wrote about. Some of them you wouldn't send your worst enemy to, I know because I've been to most of them!
The only thing that offended me about it was that it didn't include my home town which I would've have thought would score quite highly!
If you are easily offended and patriotic about your home town perhaps it isn't the book for you.
on 19 October 2013
OK, so this is what it is - a silly, funny, nasty book being horrible about certain towns. Some of its judgements I agree with; some I do not.

However, what I find hilarious is the tetchy reaction by the usual provincials - who inexplicably are always so proud of their miserable northern and chavvy non-places and cultural deserts.

Even funnier as so many of these constantly slag off other towns too, and particularly London and the 'south' (which gets constant abuse from the whingers up north who those in the south of England subsidise massively).
on 22 October 2003
It was the title that strangely attracted me to the book. Overall, it's a very amusing but if you're a proud resident of one of the 50 not-so-hot towns, it's perhaps best to remember that it's only a bit of fun.
Some of the choices are bizarre - St Albans may be many things, but having been there it's far from "crap" in my view. What about the delights of Dunstable, Doncaster, Luton, Milton Keynes, Coventry or any number of other towns splattered across the UK? And bear in mind that "crap towns" are not just the preserve of the UK - the world is full of them! Perhaps a sequel could focus on "Crap European Towns" before going onto explore the rich source of crap US towns/cities?
In summary, a good book that'll start many a pub argument this winter. Having read it, however, it just makes me even more appreciative of my home town.
on 2 October 2003
In the rush to release Christmas cash-in books (known in the trade as non-books), this compendium of contemporary crud is actually assembled with integrity and professionalism. Tidily designed (except for some washed-out photography), the writing here makes Paul Theroux look like a pussycat - searing vitriol from the bunch of over-educated ne'er-do-wells who make up the audience from a magazine like The Idler.
It would be wrong to think these denunciations of Britain spring from the pen of some metropolitan bohemian fop: the contributions are from the current or ex-citizenry of the various tawdry towns.
Although it only takes a couple of hours to read, it is extremely funny. The survey is by no means definitive, yet it still serves as a biopsy of contemporary discontent.
on 12 October 2003
There are an awful lot of things to say about this wonderfully funny book.
First of all though, having had it a week, and after some of the dust has settled I think it's worth referring to the reviews already here on amazon. I'm willing to bet money that all the one-star entries are written by the disgruntled local councillors that the book does such a good job at hammering. They seem to be as ill-informed about the book as they are about how to run a town. They clearly haven't read it. Few, if any of the contributors seem to be students. The authors clearly received thousands of emails. They have visited the towns in question (like, er, how else did they manage to take all those photos?)
On to more positive things, however. It's hilarious. Wonderfully sharp prose, briliant observation, genius photography. I come from Morecambe and the entry for my poor town was just spot on.
And it really set me thinking. This book really does make a serious point about the way we live our lives. It's satire at it's finest and most cutting - which is why I'm sure so many people find it difficult to cope with. If ever a book summed up the State Of The Nation, this is it.
It's a call to action to get rid of hopeless local authorities and try to do something about the ugliness and snobbery that surrounds us. I'm at Univesity at the moment, but when I'm done I'm going to go back to Morecambe and try to do something for the poor place. I feel that strongly now.
And, of course, back to my original point, it's funny too. I loved it.
on 9 November 2004
I got this book as a Christmas present last year and although I read it in about half an hour it's a book that I find myself going back to time and time again. It's hilarious in its wry observations but it's also shocking in its revelations. And it's provocative, after reading it you can't help but think what a dump this country really is. Maybe, just maybe some places got their act together after being 'named and shamed'.
So if, like me, you're coming to terms with the fact that you live in a crap town then this is something that will help you sleep at night, knowing that you are not alone.
on 10 October 2003
I found Crap Towns quite delightful.
Like most folk, I opened the book and immediately searched for places I know, and wasn't dissappointed, but the real joy was coming back and reading it cover to cover.
The editing is sharp, and the layout considered, creating a romping pace. I read it in one sitting, but didn't miss a word, and while I initially felt it might be lightweight at 160 pages, soon realised that the inclusion of thousands of similar rants and opinions would merely clutter and bore the reader.
Instead, the editors have weeded out the weak, and included just pointed and often very funny opinions.
It's unscientific, it's very tongue-in-cheek, but it works.
on 17 May 2014
Original and brilliant book about the worst 50 towns in Britain. Dare you look and see if your home town is here? See places as others see them. Funny and ALMOST makes you want to visit for yourself
on 2 April 2013
This book was a great read with funny desciptions of the towns and unlikely horrible towns. The quality of the book was i good condition and the postage was quick with the free postage
on 11 October 2003
At last, a definitive list of the 50 crappiest towns in Britain. How many more should be on record! Succinct, topical and very easy to read. The writers have bravely put into words what the voiceless majority feel about the lousy places they are unfortunate enough to be stuck in. Well worth the modest price and, please, do a follow up!! An excellent Christmas present.