on 10 February 2016
I purchased the Cramer Ceramic / Enamel Repair Kit in order to affect a repair to a chipped enamel bath. The results the repair kit produced in my case were not perfect, but it is fair to say they were a lot better than the sight of the original chip.

Like a lot of these jobs, the instructions are only a good guide; someone else’s experience (good or bad) is worth its weight. I did not as directed, mix the hardener and filler together in one go, if you did, you definitely would be rushed into completing the job before the paste went off. I too followed the advice of another reviewer and took just ‘as much as you need from the container and mix it separately on a piece of cardboard - also only use a very small amount of hardener (as stated in the instructions) - that will give you a few minutes to apply it which is ample time’ – Spot on.

Anyone that has done any filling job (cars, walls, wood etc.) this is no different. Don’t be tempted to lump it in all on in one go; it doesn’t dry properly, you overfill the chip and just create yourself a more difficult and lengthy job in having to sand the ‘lump’ that you have created flat to the surface. Small layers, allow each to dry. Then the final one, you will find it is easier to judge the level of the chip with the surface of the bath. Then you sand to a nice finish.

So that you don’t get carried away with the paint spraying, from a sheet of paper, cut yourself a hole in what will become your spray masking sheet and stick this to the bath surface so that only the chip repair and a few millimetres around it are visible. Once again, don’t overdo it on the spray paint. If necessary, build up light layers. Too much in one go and like all spray paints, it will run.

Unless you want to waste your time and bodge the job, I would suggest do the filling etc. one day, leave it overnight and then complete the job with the paint the next.

If you look closely, you can see my repair. The shade of the paint I chose was just slightly off. As I said at the beginning ‘they were a lot better than the sight of the original chip’.

A few reviewers have mentioned that the repair might come off after some time, if mine did, would I use the same product again? The answer is yes. It has saved me a lot of money and it DOES look better.
on 8 October 2010
Second time I've used this product on our sink which has a big crack in it; this time something hard and heavy was dropped into the sink and chipped a chunk out of it (a bit less than 1cm cube). I used this kit to fix the chunk back in place and re-cover the chips and crack; then sprayed over the top. Our old sink is less white than the spray but that's fine. The last repair lasted a good few years. Unless you have a very small amount of damage, this isn't going to be a permanent repair solution but redoing this every few years on our fairly significant damage is postponing replacing our sink.

There's probably enough in here to do a few repairs.

The process is pretty easy - mix enough of the epoxy and hardener together; use this paste to repair the damage; leave overnight to harden; sand down the repaired area with the sandpapers (included - of varying roughness - down to a fine final rub) then spray the enamel over the repair to mask and protect it. Leave to dry for as long as possible (overnight or over two nights preferably) and you're done.

Try to avoid abrasive cleaners after the repair as they'll take off the spray coat eventually.
22 comments|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2015
product itself is excellent but you need to be aware of a few points:

* instructions show that you should add the hardener to the filler in the metal container but this produces way too much filler and if all the hardener is added it will set very quickly - much better to take as much as you need from the container and mix it separately on a piece of cardboard - also only use a very small amount of hardener (as stated in the instructions) - that will give you a few minutes to apply it which is ample time
* even though it can be sanded it is much easier to apply the filler in small layers and "underfill" it - let it dry and then apply the next layer - build it up in 3 or so layers with the final layer level with the surface required - this minimises the amount of sanding required
* paint sticks very well to the filler but you need to be careful as the can produces a lot of paint so easily causes drips
* unfortunately paint will not stick to old enamel surfaces - I had some stains and even after trying to rough up this old enamel the paint still did not want to stick and flaked off after a while - it does actually state this in the instructions that it will not stick to old enamel paint

so, product is very good for repairing chips (5 stars) but not for repainting old surfaces (hence 4 stars overall)
on 13 August 2010
Great product very easy to use, came out a slightly doifferent white but that is to be expected on an old bath.
on 6 October 2012
An excellent repair kit - need to follow instructions to the letter, not be in a rush and do repair in stages but the final result good enough that you can't see the repair.
on 28 October 2011
I applied this to a small chip and crack in a ceramic basin, following the instructions to the letter. The filler filled the chip fine but the paint has started to peel off the surrounding area after a couple of weeks.
on 11 January 2016
I brought this to fix the chipped away stand of my new toilet seat, caused by careless workmanship. I am a above amateur level diyer having done all the drilling, curtain fixing and house painting.

Okay, it is made in Germany, I've trusted all German made to date. Not too difficult to mix. BUT it did''t go onto the surface! The spatula provided was awkward to use (is it down to the fact that I was trying to apply to a upright surface?). After several failed attempts, I could see it was going nowhere apart from pilling mess around the seat. So I retorted to my finger, not help at all, the stuff kept rubbing off like water on duck back.

It did, though, attached to my fingers and tile floor firmly. Hence, a huge effort is made to take them off. It went into the bin straight away.

Avoid it, I'd say, if you have more than a crack to repair.
on 27 April 2011
I was doubtful about this stuff...but WOW! Now its applied - nobody would know the damage that 'her indoors' did when her bottle of V. expensive cologne hit and carved a large piece of enamel out of the bath surround. 10/10 for this product.
on 10 August 2015
Not a great product, actually wasted my money. The filler did fill the crack as it said and sanded down well. However the problem arose when painting the filler white. Included in the kit is a miniature can of white spray paint. I sprayed the area and it didn't not match. I had an 'ideal standard' branded sink, plain white. The spray paint settled and within a few days had all chipped off again. Not worth the money. I have replaced the sink now.
I think this product would be good if you perhaps were worried about a hole of chip in a sink getting worse before you replace it.
on 17 May 2012
The epoxy resin as other reviewers have stated must be used very quickly and the ratio of mix hardener to resin is not critical. On the instructions it advises to use a smoother wet dry paper not the supplied sandpaper which is a bit mean.
Once cured after a few days I sprayed our shower tray on the repair, it is barely visible now. So it beats changing the tray as ours only had a chip. This product won't fix cracks.