on 28 September 2010
As a newcomer to being a potential Linux user I need to know what programmes are available in this alien system, what they do, how reliable they are, and how to learn to use them. This book is a great guide. I repeat what I have said in all my previous reviews from the perspective of a novice. A good book inspires in the reader the confidence to use and want to learn more about the topics that it discusses. This book provides a great introduction to a range of programmes and, in my case, inspires the reader to go on to learn more from other books in the future. I hope that others may feel as I do after reading it.
on 13 February 2013
I bought this book because the price was low. It turned out to be an excellent buy even though the book is somewhat out of date. It led me to a good many software products that I did not know existed and before i finished the book I had downloaded a dozen or so great programs that I now cannot do without. It is outtdated but at a chepa price it cannot be beat for starting someone off in the field.