Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 September 2003
This book certainly has some good ideas, but as another viewer remarked - a bit Enid Blyton at times. Much of the book seems to be aimed at "playing at churches". The organisation of the average Wiccan coven is generally not fixed or complex. Usually, the only Coven offices are: High Priest, High Priestess and Coven Maiden. Most Wiccans don't seem to need a "Papal" hierarchy. By referring to clergy, congregation etc., the author seems to be aiming at a commercial operation rather than a nature based, pagan religion. Pity, for, as I said, there are some good suggestions and ideas wrapped up in the verbiage.
on 1 December 1998
I picked up Covencraft because I have been practicing the Craft as a solitary for over four years and had been kicking around the idea of seeking out others. Within three days of completing it I had contacted a local group and have begun to study with them. It provides an honest look at the joys and sorrows of what can happen when Wiccans decide to get together, as well as vast appendices of reference matierial, some of which I've seen many times before, but much was new and helpful. Covencraft is not for newcomers to Wicca/Witchcraft, as it makes assumptions about what the reader is expected to know. I can't say what it will do for existing covens, because I have no experience in that regard. For those who are unsure if they want to join a group I found it to be a valuable resource.
on 28 November 1998
Amber K has produced a good concise guide book for the use of people who are in the craft and want to know about how to organize their groups. Also for anyone who justs wants to know how covens work.
Amber K covers all aspects of a covens dynamics and functions which might become issues of concern to new or existing groups. Because she deals with groups from three up, it is an invaluable reference for anyone wishing to know how to do group work. The dynamics she discusses are general enough to apply to any group, but are specifically aimed at practitioners of the craft.
Generally very readable and comprehensive. A must for any witches shelf as one of the foundation readings.
LLew, Druidic/Wiccan practitioner
on 22 June 1999
There is some really relevent information in group facilitating, management and organisation in this book given in short paragraphs and lists. However, the remainder looses credibility by becoming rather purile with the use of childish names and a somewhat "Enid Blyton, Famous Five" set of examples.
on 18 March 1999
Probably the best text I've read on the structure and dynamics of Wiccan covens. I was amazed by the completeness of the material, and the quality of the information found inside this book's covers. In particular, I was heartened by the connection that "Covencraft" fosters between Wiccan individuals, covens and the community at large (both Wiccan and the general public.) With its focus on Covens, the text is weak in the area of study groups and learning circles, but can be complemented very well in this area by Edain McCoy's "Inside A Witches' Circle." A definite must for any Wiccan library!
on 7 December 1998
When I first read this book, I was very excited. Other than one other book I had seen, Covencraft was the only one that focused on how to create a coven. It holds many details on construction and management of a coven and even has some information for joining one. However, I found the feminism in the book more than a little intimidating. The one thing that caught my attention was the fact that the High Priestess in the coven is the highest authority and that the High Priest is her subordinate rather than her equal. Also, there were some of the rituals that focused greatly on females instead of just males and a great deal of attention was put on just goddesses. Although the information is good and can be adapted in any way you'd like, the context was just a little too much for my liking. Other than this, the book is quite excellent.
on 22 November 1998
This has got to be the best book put out by Llewellyn in years. It offers ideas for group activities, working with group dynamics, holding open rituals, finding new members (and deciding if it's time to find new members), holding a "Wicca 101" class, I could go on and on. I haven't been so glad I bought a book in quite awhile.
on 30 May 1999
This book is really good for any one who wants to know more about old religion. In the book, people can understand more detail that totally turn your thought you got from Hollywood's witch film. And I believe it'll build up correct thought with old religion not only for pre-witch but also for every one who whould like to read.
on 8 January 1999
I am a solitary, and most likly will be for this life, but truly enjoyed the book. I made it a part of my growing collection. This is the second book I have by Amber K. the first book I got left me uninpressed with her work, but Covencraft changed my mind. Blessings Amber K.
on 8 January 1999