on 8 February 2013
This map really annoys me.

If you're studying politics at University, or you're a political journalist who wants an easy to read local-government map for your wall, then this is a very good chart.

But if you're looking for a map of the United Kingdom for your child, then you'd probably be wasting your money if you bought this thing.

As other reviewers have pointed out, the map doesn't show the United Kingdom divided up into its traditional "ceremonial" counties, which is the map that 99.9999% of British adults carry around in their head.

Instead this "UK Counties Map" shows the current, local government divisions of the United Kingdom which is not a lot of use for most children.

For instance, the southern part of the great County of Lancashire -- the location of Liverpool and Manchester, and cradle of The Beatles, The Smiths, and other world famous rock bands does not appear as part of the County of Lancashire, but as a fractured mosaic of tiny territories with names such as "Knowsley" and "Halton". Indeed parts of this map remind me of a detailed political map of the Holy Roman Empire, with tiny statelets and principalities.

My eight-year old son is growing up in Halifax and what he needs to know from a map of the United Kingdom is that Halifax, along with nearby Leeds, Huddersfield, Pontefract, and Wakefield is in Yorkshire.

But on this map West Yorkshire, like Lancashire, has disappeared: fissured into a bewildering mass of tiny "unitary authorities" in which Halifax appears as part of "the Metropolitan Borough of Calderdale".

This is not a useful piece of knowledge for my son. Should he need to know that Halifax is in the borough of Calderdale then I will tell him (although I can't imagine any pressing need for this as he doesn't vote, pay any council tax, or have to worry about who is failing to collect the household refuse).

A good map for the tiny minority of adults who need to know about "unitary authorities" (and who haven't got time to look them up on the internet).

But a terrible map for children.
on 17 February 2012
I wanted a map showing the counties of the UK. This shows unitary authorities, not counties as I know them. There are too many examples to list, but below are a few.
EG. Milton Keynes is shown in the county of 'Milton Keynes', surrounded by Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire & Buckinghamshire. (It should be in Bucks).
Warrington is in the county of 'Warrington'. It should be in Cheshire.
Merseyside doesn't exist. Instead, it's split into various 'counties' such as Knowsley and Sefton.
Although not fit for the purpose I wanted it for, I've given 2 stars as it is good quality, well priced and was delivered quickly.
on 20 January 2012
I felt like I was taking a chance buying this map as I couldn't see clearly from the photo provided how the counties were named. There's been a fair bit of renaming of counties in recent years but I was delighted that this was up to date (at the time of review in 2012).

The quality is good, really sturdy card. That did make flattening it from its delivery tube a bit challenging but it is not going to rip easily.

It was delivered in a strong cardboard tube which gave sufficient protection.

All in all a great value map.
on 12 March 2016
The item itself is brilliant. I would have given it 5 stars but it took me forever to cut it out of the tube. I had to carefully cut away about 90% of the cardboard tube before I could release the chart it was so tightly packed.
on 7 June 2013
A good map of the UK to teach your child where everywhere is, and on good quality paper. It is on my childs bedroom wall and we refer to it regularly, it is easy to read and find counties. I am sure as a visual learner this will help to remember where places are. It took a great deal of tac to make it stay up but I am pleased I bought it. It did come with a slight tear at the bottom but for the price I paid it wasn't worth returning it, it does its job regardless.
on 18 December 2012
Bought as a constant teaching aid for someone who has a limited knowledge of the UK. Now whenever a place or county comes up on the news, tele or radio we go to look it up on the map. Obviously not a definitive atlas, but a handy, user-friendly aid.
on 30 August 2014
Bought this map for use with Brownies. It is a good quality product, the paper is thick and feels substantial, the colours are bright and the words clear. If you want a more detailed map with more place names this isn't for you but i would definitely recommend it and it arrived well packaged and undamaged.
on 17 September 2013
I bought this for a young 10 year old whom I see annually - just to show her exactly how far my home in Sussex is from her home in Scotland. Also, so that she could see the number of Counties and learn their names. Very effective in enabling her to comprehend where each of the Counties is in relation to her her.
on 8 August 2012
A good sized laminated poster with each separate county boundary clearly marked and also coloured differently to differentiate one county from the next. Obviously too small to have anything but the largest towns marked but as an over view of the country and the counties as a whole, I've never seen anything better.
on 23 June 2012
good poster for pining up on back of door, educational, cheap, colourful and acurate. does what i needed it for.... family live all over UK so wanted to show grandaughter where they all lived. recommend.

See one answered question