on 27 June 2012
Bought this book under the impression that Collins/Nicholson would proof read the guides before publication, but it appears that somebody got a bit lazy with cutting and pasting the generic map pages around the six different editions. Book 4 has the map relevant to Book 5...so I don't know what to expect when I receive Book 5 on super saver shortly.

Overall Four Counties and the Welsh Canals has some nice doctored Ordnance Survey maps, but as a directory of the route I suspect it might be a little sparse on detail, so have ordered the Pearson guides as well.
on 24 February 2013
When I bought a set of 'New Edition' Nicholsons Guides immediately they were available, I mistakenly hoped for improvements on the earlier edition, with real updates. I should have known better - information still out of date, sometimes by more than a year. Still, that's Nicholsons!
on 15 May 2015
Doing the four counties ring this summer. Plenty of information on locks, facilities close at hand and places of interest within local areas.
We were on part of this canal system and had used a similar guide at that time but that was thirty years ago so thought there must be lots of changes since then.
on 29 June 2013
I recently bought this as my last Collins Four Counties was around 14 years old. I really like the Collins Guides as I like their quirkiness such as the occasional historical information, but I do not feel that they make much of an effort to update or put additional information in them when they bring out a newer version. They could maybe add what the mooring situation is like near various popular locations (approximately how many or how few moorings are available) and how far is it to the town or village from the mooring location. Apart from that small criticism however, I would highly recommend them as they are very informative and interesting to read.
on 14 October 2014
The Nicholson canal cruising guides continues to be, in my opinion, better than Pearson (the main competitor) and others. However the 'new edition' still contains out-of date material that obviously hasn't been checked and updated (shops and pubs that have closed years rather than months ago, etc). And the text does, for me, spend too much space on churches & real ale!
on 10 January 2016
We bought this for our first trip on a canal boat and it was really useful, there was enough information in the book about pubs, places to see/visit, locks, bridges even pipes. Even the kids were looking at the book to find out where we were. Would defianatly buy more from this range.
on 13 January 2016
Just the job for planning a trip so not to miss out on those nice pubs close to canal. Thoroughly detailed in all aspects and won't fall apart like a map or blow off the deck.
on 14 April 2013
I bought both the Collins / Nicholson and the Pearson for a canal holiday. Both do the job but they are disappointing in that they don't give enough information on the towns / villages along the way. It is unclear how far the moorings are from the centre and there is very little information on where you can go and do the grocery shopping. We ended up walking and carrying bags quite far ! Since there is no other choice, you have to have one or the other. I would recommend the Collins / Nicholson because it has mile markers on the maps which allows you to plan your trip better.
on 7 April 2013
We read a few of the reviews about this book not really being updated from previous versions. Personally we don't really care. We have been on many canal boat holidays and find the book useful for locations of turn points, water stops, locks etc etc. Surely that is really all one needs. If the pubs and shops aren't updated I don't think the OS can be held responsible - shops and pubs etc are closing daily in these times.
The book has everything needed for safe navigation of canals.
Recommended.
on 19 October 2013
I downloaded this to use on my Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, but after a short perusal I rejected it for a refund.
I only looked at the area local to my moorings, but found lots of stuff missing, e.g. the Green Man pub in Willington (excellent Sunday Lunch) isn't mentioned and Mercia Marina, which opened in 2008 doesn't seem to exist.
This edition was supposedly updated in 2012, I'll forgive them the missing pub, they can't include every single pub and shop, but a 600+ berth marina?