on 19 September 2014
I liked this new Cosmos. NDT is a great successor to Sagan. The production quality is superb. Seth McFarlane's influence is welcome (and clear).

Now I have to break with consensus and say I wasn't as captivated compared to the original, hence the 4 stars. Perhaps it's because I'm older, more cynical and enjoy complaining about how easy CGI has cheapened dramatic shots of star forming galaxies :)

This new Cosmos is human-centric, more so than the original. Fine, but to me it had hints of Bronowski's "Ascent of Man" (which is better in this regard).

There was a lot of time devoted to climate change, as in the original. Fine, it's an important topic. However, I think different topics could have been explored, in particular more modern developments in cosmology and physics-- I was half hoping things to pick up where the original Cosmos ended.

I got a strong sense of deja vu seeing Newton's house multiple times! Generally almost identical footage appeared in several episodes, which can seem weird, especially if you watch them back to back.
on 4 July 2014
Watched this show on TV. A true scientific masterpiece. I loved every episode. I'm hoping for another series, but I'm doubtful if the original show is anything to go by. Neil's also a wonderful showman. And there couldn't have been a better choice to take up the reins from Carl Sagan, the original presenter of the 1980 show.
on 13 October 2014
Yes absolutely brilliant, and I would say that it will take pride of place on my shelf next to Carl Sagan's original Cosmos series. I think it is full of interesting facts and history and is very well presented. I would have to say that maybe I was just a little bit disappointed by the fact they used animation for much of it; I think it would have been better to use real actors as in the original series. But I've since got used to this. Of course, Tyson is not Sagan and the narrative is not as poetic and charming as the original, but it's still a fantastic series and perhaps it is a little unfair or even unnecessary to compare it with the original. Overall, it is a worthy "update".
on 28 September 2014
Although this is not quite as good as the original series. Neil deGrasse Tyson is certainly a worthy successor. This is not work for him. It's a hobby. It's clear he loves talking about this subject.

There is though, rather an over-reliance on CGI, even though that's understandable condsidering it's about space, and maybe too much time in the ship of the imagination rather than just on the ground, on location with no effects, just talking science.

Can someone tell him cosmos is pronounced 'CosMOSS', not 'CosMOWSE'. Just a bit of nit-picking.

Anyway, a great series.
on 18 December 2014
I have a huge praise for this kind of remake of the Original Cosmos-series. To my humble opinion it’s a must-see for everybody.

How’s life working? How’s nature working? How’s the earth working? How has the earth been working? How’s the sun working? How’s the universe working? How big is the universe? What’s behind the universe?

This is not a high-tech-not-urstandable explanation. This is a family friendly serie in which the makers explore how we as humans discovered the laws of nature and found our coordinates in the enourmous space and time.

An astrophysicist is our host through all episodes. My first tought was “An astrophysicist? Isn’t that going to be technical? Isn’t that going to be boring?” On the contrary! In clear words astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson explains everything. He brings the technical stuff about science, nature and the universe alive for everybody. In many episodes unexpected man or woman are the centerpiece of that particular episode. For most of them I had never heard about them, but after each episode I came to understand why they have been important in their way. Every time they’ve come alive with the graphic stories. Those graphic fits very well and helps: it makes the explanation visible.

For those who wants to understand the big picture of what we are, where we are and where we might be going and why we are humans are at the moment the most responsible for destroying the beautiful blue planet: watch it!!!
on 29 September 2014
Updated series of the Carl Sagan classic. Neil deGrasse Tyson is an engaging presenter. Beautiful graphics help make this an easy and interesting watch. I watched the Sagan series as a kid with my parents. Now I'm watching this with my kids!
VINE VOICEon 29 June 2015
Loved the series and now I can watch this whenever I want. All children should see this. All adults should see this.

It's awe inspiring - though a little cheesy at times. Beautiful and wonderful storytelling. Really humanises the journey of science, which of course is also the journey of humanity. I saw the world differently after this series. I also own the soundtrack and it's gorgeous.

Compulsory viewing in my opinion.
on 24 October 2014
Excellent - i highly recommend this series. The last two episodes were very moving.
on 7 October 2015
Passionate exploration of a wide range of scientific study liberally sprinkled with a keen message that asking questions is the way to find answers to the complexities of the universe. Dr DeGrasse Tyson holds the attention with his wonderfully engaging and informative narrative. A genuine successor to the late Dr Sagan.
on 5 June 2015
Essential watching. No other such production has managed to communicate the sheer astounding beauty of the Cosmos, impossible to watch without a tear in your eye (especially so given the soundtrack!). This should be mandatory in schools; imagine the difference it could make?