Customer Discussions > Cosmos [DVD] [US Import] [NTSC] forum

Is Cosmos DVD region-free or not?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 May 2008 19:08:42 BDT
D. T. Hayes says:
I've been trying to get this DVD in Region 0 or 2 for several years, from many sources, but every time I look into the fine print, the description contradicts itself regarding the region number. Yes, even the Amazon advert says "All regions" but when you look into the detailed descriptions of their (American) suppliers they say Region 1 or don't mention the region. The only exception to this was the official region 2 version that was supposed to become available in February, which I pre-ordered, and which never materialised. Has anyone actually seen a region 1 or 2 version, or are they all in reality region 0?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2008 14:36:18 BDT
Mad Mawther says:
DID YOU EVER HAVE ANY LUCK AND IF SO WHERE FROM? I WANT TO GET A COPY AND NEED IT TO PLAY IN UK, NOT SURE WHAT REGION I NEED BUT I GUESS IT'S NOT REGION 1!! THANKS

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2008 18:03:38 BDT
D. T. Hayes says:
As of August 2008, Cosmos Studios were still in negotiation with potential European (or UK?) suppliers, so it might still be a while for it to become available in the UK (if ever?). If you don't want to wait, you can order a PAL Region 0 (all regions) version from www.ovationshop.com.au.
It was a bit of hassle - their on-line registration system only handles Australian addresses so you have to email them to set up a dummy Australian address for you, order the DVD set, and then remind them to change the address to the correct UK address, but the system works, delivery is very fast (a few days), and I finally got the version I need! (Rather confusingly, the box and disks are labelled Region 4, as required by Australian law, but the Ovation shop assured me that the disks themselves were Region 0, and they are indeed actually Region 0!) The disks play well on my Region 2 (UK) system - and I've finally got it! Popcorn is now brain food.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2008 01:34:55 BDT
Mad Mawther says:
Great, thanks. My husband will be really impressed with me when he gets his crimbo pressie!!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2008 14:33:10 GMT
Dear D.T. Hayes,
is it available now from UK or is it still necessary to do the "Australian" trick ?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2008 20:45:13 GMT
C. Guy says:
No sign of the UK version. Seems you can get it anywhere in the world but the UK. Sucha shame as its a great series. Wonder why the publisher does not want UK residents to be able to purchase this.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 01:10:53 GMT
davip says:
As an owner of the US NTSC version, I can report that it is indeed region-free. I imported mine from an Amazon.com seller three years ago (~ $80 as I remember), and it is without region restriction. The news about a PAL R2 version is encouraging, although this can only ever be a transcode of the original NTSC that the series was taped on. Two observations: i) the degree of compression on COSMOS is phenominally low -- the 13 50 minute episodes spread across 7 dual layered discs -- ~ 4 GB per hour of footage -- and it shows in the visuals. ii) it would be nice if the series could be released in it's original 1980 guise withouth the 'updates' tacked on -- the latter is absurd, as planetary science is usually out of date before it's even published (I'm a planetary scientist, btw!). Anyway, hope this DVD info is of some help to you all...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  20 May 2008
Latest post:  28 Jan 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions