Corsair Force GT 240 GB SATA III/6G SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive - CSSD-F240GBGT-BK
Model Number: CSSD-F240GBGT-BKChange
Price:£141.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 6 October 2011
I purchased this drive a few weeks ago and it's been absolutely excellent. It's blisteringly fast, reliable and I've had no issues whatsoever. I did my homework before choosing this one and the thing that's apparent with SSD drives is that you seem to get good and bad reviews for all makes and models. If I'd avoided models that had bad feedback there wouldn't be any left to choose from! It seems to be part and parcel of SSDs. My advice is not to pay too much attention to a single good or bad review. Keep researching from lots of sources! If you want to get the best out of the drive make sure you change the PC BIOS to have AHCI enabled. However, if you do this after installing windows make sure you edit the registry too. If you fail to make this second change any SSD will give the blue screen of death and you'll have reliability issues. If you search the internet you'll find lots of pages that explain these two settings. Corsair have an excellent reputation for quality and I've haven't been disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
A bit of background, I am an avid gamer and I was getting fed up of long load times on MMO's and also my operating partition was filling up.

I installed windows 7 onto this drive and I am using it as the primary drive in my computer with a couple of games loaded onto it. Lord of the Rings Online and Diablo 3 beta. The performance is blistering. It really is quick. I was sceptical about the increase in speed but I am a believer now.

Windows 7 feels alot more responsive and programs load incredibly quick. I only have sata 2 so essentially I am only getting half the performance but it is more than enough.

Would I recommend this product? Depends on your situation. Its nice that the computer boots a little quicker and the OS is a little more responsive. The real benefit for me has come in the form of loading times on games. If you dont need the speed then stick to a standard drive as whilst the cost of SSD's is falling they are still expensive for what they are. They are still a luxury item rather than a necessity.

Useful bits of information :-
This drive comes with a caddy allowing it to fit into a standard computer as opposed to a laptop. Whilst the solution is not perfect it is better than what the competitiors offer

This drive does not come with a SATA cable, you will need to pick one up

Although SSD's are getting better there is still a high fail rate amongst these drives. I wouldnt recommend to use it for storing important files. Also worth noting there is a 2 year gurantee with this item

After format the drive hold 111GB of data, take away the OS and your looking around 90ish depending on your setup.

Dont forget that the GT model is synchronous which means it handles compressed data (gaming mainly) much better than other SSD's. If you arent using it for gaming it might be worth looking at the Corsair 3 which at the time of writing is £15 cheaper.

Hope this helps
on 22 March 2012
I bought this for my Dell XPS 15.6" L502x.
Installation was a breeze (simple as installing a 2.5" Sata HDD). My Dell XPS L502x has 2 x sata 3 ports for maximum compatibility with this product.
Literally plug and play, no configuration required. I had to install windows on it (I dual booted ubuntu and windows, both off this drive. I partitioned the SSD into 4 drives).
Windows boot times are SERIOUSLY quick. It doesn't even finish the Windows animation boot screen!!. After the initial hardware post, boot time into windows is less then 10 seconds (includes the initialization of anti-virus and start-up apps), its literally Boom, Boom, BOOM! and you have a ready to use windows system. Ubuntu boot times are even quicker!!.
Seriously Quick Drive, Firefox and Chrome open with a second, web browsing is so much faster (faster access times to cache), and overall performance of the laptop has increased MASSIVELY. (Battery life has increased very slightly as well!)

I will almost certainly be buying another one of these for my PC in the future (or perhaps 2 and run them in Raid 0!!).

Excellent service & delivery from Amazon (as always!)

;)
on 10 October 2012
Surprisingly smooth on the installation, but I suppose having a Corsair case doesn't exactly make life harder. The usual caveat to all - Make sure that you select AHCI from your BIOS settings BEFORE installation of Win 7 and the rest is pretty painless. There are a few tweaks to save space, such as disabling hibernation and Windows restore, though I am too long in the tooth to go for broke on this last one. You can also speed things along a little more by disabling the GUI boot from the MSCONFIG dialogue. I have also moved the Win 7 swapfile to the existing mechanical drive.

Having said this, it is amusing that Win 7 does not seem to boot noticeably quicker. Maybe a second or two at most, but the existing system disk was a 600GB WD Raptor and rather then me wowing at the speed of my new SSD, I am left dumb by how fast the Raptor actually is. Program installation is another matter and the SSD is definitely quick here and leaves you with a pretty fast and snappy machine.

Space requirements might not be as bad as you think and I am agreeably surprised at the 54GB used for Win 7 64HP and Microsofts' Flight Simulator X which if you don't tell my better half about, I would appreciate. I was slightly concerned about migrating to a 240GB disk, but needn't have worried. There is room for one hell of a lot of Win 7 dump files to spare. (Cynical? Moi?)

Was it worth it? Well, I was driven by a need to re install W7 and knew that would be a Pain in the butt and so it did make sense, though it was not strictly necessary to install the SSD. Nonetheless, 12 hours in and it is still working, so we live in hope. If you are a technophobe, don't worry. The biggest pain that you will experience is in getting Windows activated and up to date.
on 27 February 2012
I bought this drive to replace my Crucial M4 which failed. I have to say the Corsair looks awesome and performs extremely well, beating the M4 from the test's I carried out.

This SSD has a really nice finish on it, comes with a 2.5inch to 3.5inch bay adaptor, this is something you won't get with most other SSD's.

Overall I give this 5/5, highly recommend it.
on 20 April 2012
Bought this to replace the boot/system disk in a Windows 7 machine. I was expecting a speed-up and the stats for this SSD are good, but the real effect in how the PC behaves still surprised me. Windows used to take about 4 minutes to boot up and stop thrashing the disk to the point of being properly useable. Now it's nearer 30 seconds! Absolutely what I needed.
on 15 October 2012
Assembled a rig with a i7 3770k intel quadcore CPU and 16Gb 1866MHz rams on a Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo.
Used 2 Corsair 240GB GT Force SSD as Raid0.

The POST took beteen 15 to 20 seconds (always below 20 sec). This is mobo's BIOS speed nothing can change it.

Win7 professional boots up in 15 seconds from a boot loader (using Grub so I could time it after selecting the OS and press return) to signing on. Thereafter only a few second to full operating system.

Same thing to Ubuntu 12.10 AMD64 in about 15 seconds.

When checked with Linux's hdparm the buffet read of a Sata III hard disk (single) was 160 Mb/s. For the Raid0 assembled by 2x Corsir 240Gb GT Force SSD it was 660 Mb/s.

Use the SSD in a Raid0 is awesome!!!!!!!!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 March 2012
I wanted a quick no fuss hard drive for the important things on my computer.. games ! This has done the job nicely.
on 4 February 2012
Bought this in advance to doing a full upgrade in April to Ivybridge. As such my mobo only supports Sata 2 so will not get full advantage of the speed of this thing till April, but its still rapid enough. A full system reboot takes 45-50 seconds, Windows installs in 10-15 mins, programs open instantly. Battlefield 3 loads up atleast 4 times faster I would say and always first on the map along with other SSD users. The price of this seems to be the best for cost/performance, any less than 120GB you would be struggling for space after you got windows installed and a few games and apps. Anyways come April will get a nice free boost in performance again when I upgrade to a Sata 3 mobo.
on 29 July 2012
This SSD is a beast and blows out any competition I've used before. Even the colour is my favourite tone, almost Scarlet Red :)

I have 120 Gb partitioned as 75Gb for OS X Mountain Lion and 45Gb for Windows 7
OS X boots in 10 seconds while Windows 7 takes 15-17 seconds (was to be expected)

The feel of the actual case is weird, hard to describe, but no one cares about things like that ;) I think it makes it more unique from the metal cased ones

Overall amazing SSD, check with Corsair for the latest Firmware if others have put you off, and comes with a 3 year warranty from Corsair anyway.

Manufacturer Product Page: [...]