on 14 August 2009
I have just bought Winzip 12, and although I have not yet tried many of the features described, the main thing that I bought it for has shown to offer poor performance. I have over 20,000 digital photo's, so thought it would be good to compress some of my older JPEG's. On average I am able to reduce the photo size by a mere 1%!Not the 20% or even the 25% as advertised. Also at over £40 for a single user licence, I feel that it is just too expensive. I bought this as part of a package with Office 2007. Office offered a 3 user licence, and as there was nothing indicating how many pc's Winzip can be installed on, I was silly enough to assume Winzip was a 3 user licence; also because - a lot of software manufacturers are now offering this.

In summary, at the moment I am tempted to give Winzip only 2 stars. But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since I've only just got it, and perhaps it might have some redeeming feature, so I'll give it 3 stars.
VINE VOICEon 20 January 2009
I bought this from the Corel Store, i got a special discount for upgrading. If you have a previous version then i'd recommend you upgrade directly from Corel.

WinZip isnt just about compressing/extracting your files anymore, if thats all you need to do then Windows built in extraction tool will be enough. But WinZip 12 offers a lot more now. This new version supports 32bit and 64bit Vista, XP and 2000.

The first thing i noticed was the Vista style explorer interface and icons, a net touch which blends in with Windows quite nicely. Also, you can view all the files in a ZIP archive without extracting it.

The JPEG photo compression is advertised at 20-25% -- and it really does work. My files were reduced considerably in size, and the picture quality wasnt affected at all. More photo tools include simple editing of photos, rotating and viewing etc without extracting the files.

Another feature which was very useful was extraction of ISO, IMG and 7Z files. There is no need for mounting or burning to blank CD, WinZip just extracts the folder from the ISO archive so you can carry on from there -- very handy.

Various options to upload to FTP, or send to a CD/DVD. Automation tasks come in handy too if your dealing with a lot of stuff. Encryption feature is best i've seen so far on any archive program. New and improved support for email such as hotmail, yahoo and gmail is also very good.

OVERALL
A very good program, with advanced features, as well as being able to handle simple tasks without complication. Perefect for beginners and advanced users.

I would recommend this if you will be using most of the features such as photo compression, if not then there are some excellent free archive programs -- the best of which are 7ZIP and WINRAR.
on 21 July 2010
Product would only work on a single computer, so I can't use it on another computer. Most programs have a 3-site licence.