Platform: PC|Edition: Standard|Change

on 15 December 2013
I have been using Pinnacle software for many years and in several different editions & upgrades. This was to be installed on a new computer with Windows 8.1. On starting the set-up process I had the message that it was unable to install the DirectX updates. That is not surprising seeing the OS had DirectX 11, and the set-up was trying to install DirectX 9. On closing the message box I found I exited setup. I tried again, but clicked the Done button. Again I aborted setup. I contacted customer support. You are only allowed one free question, so choose it carefully. You are encouraged to pay for a support scheme. One is given a case number, then several days passed before being emailed by a support staff member. I then had another go myself. This time I left the message box on the screen and re-pressed the Install button. This time it installed over about 30 minutes. On opening, it suggested installing the latest update, which I did. I had the message that several files could not be installed because they were being used by another program. I closed Pinnacle and re-opened it. The advice I received over the phone was always close Pinnacle before updating. On trying it out I noticed half a dozen control buttons were missing. Now, was that because there were some files that had not installed. On complaining to Corel/Pinnacle support I had the quick answer that they were only present on the Plus and Ultimate versions, and I should phone Corel support UK for any special offers on an upgrade. The vital missing button for me was the Volume keyframe control which was enabled on all the previous basic editions. On phonong Corerl I was told there were no upgrades - I would have to buy the complete program. On asking his best price I was told £99; I replied that Amazon had it for £66, but he wouldn't reduce it at all. The lesson is buy the Plus version, but there is no way of knowing what controls are activated in each version, they only advertise the most spectacular ones on the box. The operator's manual applies to all versions, so you still can't fathom out fully what each version does.
77 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2014
I recently purchased a new PC with Windows 8. Having previously used Pinnacle Studio 12 I decided to upgrade to Studio 17 (Standard Edition). I have to say I am very disappointed and wish I had not bothered. Firstly in my opinion Studio 17 is not very user friendly. I am STILL struggling to find out how to effectively trim my video clips - a fairly basic requirement I would have thought. The manual describes use of 'Trim Mode' by selecting the 'Trim Mode' button on the toolbar. Guess what? - no Trim Mode Button!! Manual says configure toolbar with 'Customise Toolbar Button'. Guess what? - no Customise Toolbar Button!! I raised a support query with Pinnacle Support - not at all helpful. Their simple answer is not all functions are available in the Standard Edition !!! The manual clearly relates to Ultimate Edition with no indication whatsoever where functions are not available in lesser versions. So I still cannot find an easy or effective way to trim my video clips - what therefore is the point of spending around £50 on a DOWNGRADE from a previous version? The comparison table between the different versions of Studio 17 (ie Standard, Plus, Ultimate) is VERY misleading and unhelpful. The Standard version appears to be very limited - if you are considering Studio 17 I would suggest you need to consider the Ultimate version (at least the manual then makes sense) but quite frankly I suspect there are much better software options elsewhere.
on 21 January 2014
Looking back to versions 11 and earlier this latest version is much simpler to use and very easy to pick up. This is just as well as there is no help facility. Unfortunately it still locks up with frustrating frequency requiring the program to be re started several times an hour when editing.
on 17 February 2014
This could have been a good program but is full of bugs and holes is hard to use and no help program or anything. I dont want to ring customer support because by the sounds of it they are useless, had to watch a tutorial on youtube to learn how to use the program. No instructions supplied. I installed a patch which allowed me to create DVD menus but causes the program to crash when creating dvd's (which it didnt do without the patch) Also a lot of stuff seems to have been locked off unless you spring your wallet for the ultimate edition which seems a little money grabbing to me (things like creating sub menus in your dvd's you will need the ultimate edition) I just bought this because Windows 8.1 doesnt come with DVD creating software as standard and this was recommended to me, wont be able to return it now because i have installed it on my pc and used the serial code. Again money grabbing company dont give you the option of a trial month to test out the software. Once i learned how to use it though it did seem like a good program, burns DVD's super quick and allows you loads of options on how to share your video with the world once its done. Hopefully they will iron out the kinks with windows 8.1 real soon otherwise i am out £40
This software failed to install on two computers (a desktop running Windows 7 Professional and a laptop running Windows 8.1).

Bottom line: Can't evaluate what can't be used...

In both cases, the installation routine reached a screen that indicated: "File: AVID.VFEditing.manifest". Once there: nothing happened.

The install failure under Windows 8.1 added this this inscrutable message:
"Error 1330. A file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file D;\Studio\Data1.cab has an invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt. Error 24592 was returned by WinVerify Tust."

In both cases, the optical drive was the "D" drive.

Both "Error 1330" and "Error 24592" show up in great quantities when searched online. Error 1330 is clearly Pinnacle-specific, and Error 24592 is associated with many applications across multiple Windows operating systems. In both of my cases, the issue came on machines with recent clean installs of their respective operating systems. For both error messages, you can find many possible solutions online, but no consensus is evident. Instead, I'll look for a different consumer-level video editor (and start with the free Windows Movie Maker...)
on 23 December 2014
Having been used to a much older version of studio, I decided to go for this, as I had recently got a new PC. TBH, I don't think it is as user friendly as the older version, and it locks up some times, when I try to use the title editor. Even with the updates, it still locks up.
Once you have found your way around it, the results are OK. If you are used to video software, this will do you, if you are a new newbie, be prepaired to take a while to get your head around it.
on 14 August 2014
I had an earlier version of Studio installed. Suddenly it stopped working reporting an Initialization Error. I uninstalled it and tried reinstalling it but kept on getting half way through the process an error message and the installation stopped. NO SOFTWARE SUPPORT. My option now is either to buy a new version (why, when the old one I had was bought for and worked on my current OS?) or try something else. I'm trying something else and suggest you do too.
on 25 September 2015
Not happy ever since downloaded. Have reinstalled several times, have searched internet for fixes which have not worked, NT still crashes during programme launch. Have noticed on internet that others have this problem too. Cannot get this version 17 to work consistently. So now I am back to using my old version 14 on another computer.
on 18 May 2014
Not as good as I expected, should have gone for Pinnacle Studio 17 ultimate. The majority of tutorials on the net are for Ultimate
version not for the standard version finding this version a little difficult to understand.
on 18 August 2014
Having used Pinnacle 15 for a long time, I thought 17 might be a good update, but I find it very confusing, especially importing
stills from My Pictures, so have gone back to using 15. I wish i hadn't bothered!