on 27 April 2010
Unlike many of the negative reviews found on this book we found all 5 sites we stayed on to be of a good quality and matching their descriptions. What makes a site good for one set of people and not for another can be very subjective and such factors as who camps close to you, how full the site is and the weather will impact on most people's experience and thus their reviews. So why do I give it 4 stars and not 5 after finding all five sites good ? well the directions could have been more clear in nearly all case (include a local map in the next addition please), and the fact we restricted our camping to Luxembourg, Germany & Switzerland (unlike the negative reviews which were Spanish and French orientated), and our sites were mostly mountainous rather than beachy sites. For us, a family of 4 with teenage kids, the special thing about the sites was the people who ran them: helpful (well worth talking to), friendly and not at all intrusive. The sites normally have table tennis and babminton, small shops (selling good local produce), great views, excellent shower blocks, reasonable pitch sizes and water (streams, rivers, lakes etc) nearby, and cheapish prices.
on 30 November 2009
First of all, I have to say that I'm a big fan of the Cool Camping England and Wales books - I've used both of those and they have directed me to some camp sites that really are excellent :- ones which are off the beaten track, lovely locations, not over-commercialised, as close to wild camping as you can get without actually wild camping!

However this Cool Camping book for Europe is, i feel, far less researched (and i'd have a similar issue with the one for France which i've also used). Having used both, my impression (and i may be wrong), is that for Cool Camping England and Wales, there really was an element of looking for campsites that were not mapped /covered in other books, whereas for Cool Camping Europe (and Cool camping France), well, for the entries covering France and Spain at any rate, i feel they just did what I did: looked for "camping" signs on the Michelin map and just went to those. I don't even feel much effort was made to ensure that the campsites they were recommending were the best in the area or not. For example, when travelling in Spain, we found our Michelin map (which had little "caravan" signs to denote campsites), covered all the ones listed within the book, and many more besides, and, after a few cool camping disappointments, we found ourselves checking out all the marked campsites in the area, not just the cool camping ones, and frequently, we chose the one not mentioned in the cool camping book.

I myself would be wary of anyone who gives this book a high rating but who hasn't actually used the book yet - yes, the book is beautifully presented, with some stunning images and yes, it is well written, and yes, looking at it can get you very excited about visiting the various locations, but .. when you actually get there, it's another story.

Note - they actually dismiss Belgium in a few sentences, but when we went there, we found several fairly decent campsites - as decent as the ones the book had recommended in France at any rate (for example, along the valley of the Semois river if you are interested!) - yes, they had static caravans, but again, so did many of the sites recommended by Cool Camping Europe in France and Spain.

So to summarise - Cool Camping Europe is as beautifully written and presented as the others in the series, but not as well researched as their initial offerings. Use it in planning your trip, but make sure to check out other independent reviews, and to check out the camp sites own websites. Also, if you're planning any sort of longish road trip, you'll need another source, since the campsites covered can be few and far between.

I've spend quite a few months camping in France, Belgium and Spain this year so my comments are restricted to those areas.
on 22 August 2011
I got this for a recent road trip in central Europe. I guess I was hoping for a little less upmarket "individual" style camping spots and info about a few more in each country. Instead we got an eclectic mix of campsites, with an equally random mention of countries, some larger ones in Europe weren't mentioned at all. Most of them were pretty pricey and the one we did try to go to, Tentstation in Berlin, was full (not the books' fault admittedly). This book is probably best for people who plan there holiday in advance and like to stay in one place for a few days and will base their itineraries around that. It isn't good for those who camp on the fly or who want a list of campsites in each country. One recommendation would probably be to book any of these campsites in advance as they probably will be popular!
on 8 October 2011
We live in Belgium and have 4 young children. Traveling Europe via camping is much cheaper and occasionally, easier. This book has been a huge help to us and we'd have missed out on some spectacular places without it. I agree with a previous reviewer that Belgium boasts a few areas where camping is equally amazing and there could be sites added. Though the campsites we've booked and stayed at were all spectacular in their own right. Tenting can be more difficult to locate at some of these campgrounds, though usually accomodations can be made. We wouldn't recommend using this guide as an end all, be all, list of camping sites, because the internet can expand your search quite easily, though we would highly recommend this guide. If you have a chance to stay at these pitches, by all means, do it!
on 7 October 2010
This guide is truly different in that it enables one to find a range of alternative camping experiences from tenting in a national park to secluded yurts in secret woodland. Price ranges suit all budgets and clear, concise, accurate reviews make it an invaluable guide regardless of one's camping tastes or experience levels. The indexing is user-friendly and the variety of camping experiences is unique.
on 1 September 2009
Like another reviewer I didn't find this book at all useful on a trip around numerous European countries. There aren't actually very many sites in the book (relative to the simply huge number of campsites in Europe), which means that it isn't actually that useful. Secondly, after visiting a couple of sites in the book (for example their recommendation for Lake Garda) we seriously questioned whether the authors had visited the sites or whether they had simply looked them up on the internet and then hoped the sites were actually cool and the readers not too fussy. The Lake Garda recommendation, for example, was no different to any other campsite in the area, and we found somewhere much nicer using a small amount of initiative. Overall, I wouldn't waste money on these 'lifestyle' camping books and just stick to doing your own research.
on 5 November 2013
Really great ideas for camping and travelling. My only criticism is that nearly every site involves bringing massive amounts of camping equipment I.e driving ..... To Greece...which isn't very practical and not "cool" from an environmental perspective.
on 7 August 2009
I bought this book for a 3-week camping trip around Europe and thought it would be perfect for finding some extra-special campsites in amazing locations. However, in the end we only ended up staying at one of the campsites in the book because when it came down to it, the campsites in Cool Camping simply aren't that special. I'm sure some of them are, but many of them looked quite average and we easily found several campsites that were just as special and not in the book.

When you read the information about each campsite, although they're all in nice enough locations - and some of them in amazing locations - not all the information is that positive, e.g. it says that the facilities in some sites aren't very good. In a book like this, I would expect to see campsites that are excellent in every way, so was a bit disappointed with this.
on 30 January 2013
What can I add. Very lightweight. Not much real detail, a complete waste of money. Don't bother. Who wants to buy mine?
on 14 August 2012
Few camps listed and those we looked up were wrongly located on the map. Sadly, I could not recommend this book.