on 3 September 2006
Having seen this book reviewed in the newspapers and on TV I decided that I would buy it for my kids (aged 9 and 14) for the summer holidays. And boy am I glad I did! They have spent the last few weeks trying out loads of recipes from the book, from full-on family meals to cakes, biscuits and smoothies. Not only has it kept them entertained for hours, but they are now confident in the kitchen. And most of the recipes are healthy as well (with the odd nice treat) so it's guilt-free. I heard that Sam Stern is bringing out another book this year - I'll definitely be buying it!
0Comment42 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2007
I bought this cookbook for my 14 year old twin sons, who have always enjoyed cooking alongside me, but never attempted anything on their own before.

They both instantly loved this book, saw lots of things that they fancied cooking, but, unlike many other cookbooks, felt confident enough to give them a go.

My sons are very dyslexic, but they found the layout easy to follow and the pictures useful.

These are not groundbreaking recipes, or even the best renditions of well-known dishes, but they work fine, are well illustrated and introduce young cooks to a range of techniques in a very straightforward, jargon free way.

There are also (from my point of view) helpful comments on diet and nutrition, delivered in a very matter of fact way.

Impressive all in all
on 8 January 2006
I got this book for Christmas, as I have allways liked cooking, but never had anything to cook. This book has loads of great recipes, from cakes and biscuits, to full meals. Some thigs that I have made are:muffins, bbq pork ribs, pasta and sauce and there are lots more that I want to make such as: wedges, breakfast fry up, egg fried rice, greek salads and lots more. I would recommend this book to anyone!
0Comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2006
When we first purchased the UK version of this book it inspired my teenage son to start cooking. The book was so well used that I ordered a replacement last week and unfortunately Amazon only now supply the US version, which gives everything in cup sizes rather than metric and has translated many food items which confuse UK kids (eg Zuchini rather than Courgettes). Buy the book - it's excellent, but search for the UK version if you live in the UK, don't take this (cheaper) US substitute
0Comment53 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2006
I am a 12 going on 13 girl and this book which is aimed mostly at boys is also great for girls. I don't do food tec in my school so when i recieved this for christmas i was thrilled. I realised that I have a talent i'd never regonised. Whats more the stuff is really tasty and my mum is really impressed. It is aimed at teenagers which means that the methods are sutible for our ability. It gives you exam tips at the back of the book as well. I am starting yr9 soon and we do food tec so I will have had a head start! Its really good, so buy it, as you might unleash a talent that you never thought you had! (of course, you adults can also buy it to make some really tasaty treats!) (12)Lizzie
11 comment17 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2006
This book is a must have if like me you have a child who likes to cook. The recipes are grown-up enough to satisfy both the cook and the 'guests'. As a parent I'm concerned about nutritiion and the author covers this and makes a good case for organic seasonal choices, where possible. Intelligent well thought out recipes written in an easy to understand language that bridges that awkward gap between the child and young adult.
0Comment24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 2 March 2006
My son (age 12 - not quite a teen) saw this book in a school book club leaflet and to my amazement he raided his pocket money and bought it for himself. My son is quite a picky eater but he had no trouble at all finding things he wanted to make, and now he is becoming really confident in the kitchen. The book is packed with all kinds of recipes that will appeal to young chefs, from simple sandwiches, snacks and drinks to more complicated meals. There are loads of colour pictures and clear step-by-step instructions, with helpful tips from Sam Stern who is surely a rising star. My only complaint is that the book has begun to fall apart - but I'm still giving it 5 stars.
on 18 November 2005
My mum bought me this book but I thought it might be rubbish because I'd never heard of him. But last weekend I made loads of stuff from it with my friends and now think I might be a chef. Mega food, easy to do and Sam is cool. Respect.
on 23 October 2005
This is a fantastic cookbook written by someone who obviously has a true passion for and innate understanding of food.
I have a son who is about Sam's age. When he was younger we enjoyed doing various activities together, but with the dawn of the teenage years and the allure of the Playstation, I found it more and more difficult to find common ground.
I have always enjoyed cooking and after seeing Sam on BBC Breakfast I rushed out and bought the book. It was an instant success and together we have already made a few recipes which were enjoyed by the whole family, which in itself was a reward for my son.
This isn't just a children's book. It is a serious cookbook, with serious recipes, that does not talk down to teenagers. Sam manages to explain both simple and innovative recipes in familiar, fun and straightforward language.
on 30 December 2005
Although aimed at teenagers, and written in a style to communicate with them, Sam is one of their peers after all, it is clear and concise enough to be of use to anyone who wants to get into the kitchen and cook healthy food easily. I bought it because it has a lot of "back to basic" recipes in which seem to be missing from a lot of cookbooks aimed at beginners to cooking. It is also full of ideas for food which appeals to teenagers, as a mum (and college student!) this is invaluable information! I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a basic cookbook but doesn't want the bulk or wordiness of the Good Housekeeping Cookbook (can you still get it?) or the likes of Delia Smith (good as she is).