Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 25 May 2013
I was actually surprised to find myself dipping into this book quite frequently. It gives some very sensible and achievable goals related to lowering blood pressure naturally - and I have already made some headway!
A good book to have on the shelf for anyone who wishes to be proactive concerning this aspect of their health.
on 13 May 2013
Helped me reversed my stage 2 hypertension in 4 weeks to borderline with no medication. My average reading was 174/108. Today it was 134/84.
on 13 March 2014
The first part of this book explains at a high level how our cardiovascular system works, what high blood pressure actually is and what effects it can have. It also explains why a blood pressure reading comprises two figures, and what they mean. I found this part of the book extremely helpful and informative.

The book then explains the different drugs available to manage high blood pressure but, because this book was written about 14 years ago, I expect a lot of this section is out of date.

The book then gives some dietary advice to help manage high blood pressure. I found this so basic to be patronising; e.g. avoid fatty food & alchohol, get more exercise. It does list some foods that are good or bad, which is useful, although the lists are too short to be of much use and items are presumably popular in the US but mean nothing in the UK.

I didn't bother with the 30 day diet plan, which sets out specific foods you should eat for all meals for the 30 day period. Given the previous section I didn't have much faith in it and I was really looking for information about what foods to increase or reduce in my current diet rather than following a prescribed diet for a month, which would probably teach me very little and not help me once the 30 day period ended.

Overall I would say that the explanation of blood pressure at the start of this book was really useful, but the rest of the book was of very little value.
on 26 April 2014
I have only skimmed this book so far and haven't anything else to compare it to. However, the book full of useful advice including the best type of exercise, the right foods and even advice on stress reducing techniques such as yoga , meditation, and tai chi. Looking forward to reading in depth and trying out some of the recommendations.
on 28 October 2011
A very good laymans description of the problem and its treatment when bought with the Omron M10-IT Blood-Pressure measuring device.
on 22 May 2013
Thank you ! This book is informative, intelligent and very easy to read. It has confirmed my feelings about this condition beautifully and given me a wonderful set of tools to combat it.
on 12 June 2012
This is a great book which explains everything about blood pressure. There are some great tips for lowering your blood pressure. The best thing I found in the boook was a recipe for a really tasty salt sustitute.
on 3 June 2013
Bought this for hubby and he wasn't impressed. Information given was nearly obvious and pretty dated. Some things were interesting but not that useful. Sorry, won't be recommending any time soon.
on 17 February 2016
Ok but it is American. I was looking for herbal and good remedies but this isn't it. This just tells you what we already know plus a couple of extras for example, liquorice isn't good for high blood pressure! Who knew. Not such a waste of time :)
on 29 August 2015
Compact book that I use as reference. Early chapters explain what to look for and what is important. It contains some useful advice that already appears to be having some beneficial effect