on 21 April 2010
This is a fantastic and very attractive book about cabling with plentiful explanations and mostly attractive projects (I'm sure that we have all seen knitting or sewing books full of things noone who doesn't want to look ludicrous would actually wear). Probably more for cabling fanciers rather than beginners though as most projects are for intermediate or experienced while only 2 are listed as easy. The downside is that yarns are American as the book is but don't let this put you off.
on 2 January 2012
i have been watching this book on amazon and ebay for a long time.it was the red hooded jacket that caught my eye.the designs are unique complicated but rewarding.i found the layout of the patterns a tad confusing as you flip pages for grid patterns but once you master that ....off you go. had to sit and read it a good 10 times to get it in my head as to how to progress in the easiest form.i have a large collection of knitting books acquired over my lifetime and do get excited when i discover fresh designs that test your knowledge of knitting.
on 24 January 2016
This book shows you how to do "continuous" cables: that is, cables that go round in circles and loops.

I bought it for the picture on the cover. This turns out to be a zip-up type hoody.

There are several sweater patterns, and patterns for throws and hats, bags. The patterns use charts to describe how to do the motifs.

This is not a beginners book. You need to be able to do knit and purl, and it probably helps if you have done some ordinary cabling before. If you can do that, then this book is going to be fine for you. A large part of the book is devoted to describing techniques for cabling, the diagrams are clear line drawings.

At the back is a huge and very inspiring stitch dictionary. It shows cable motifs, each with a photo and a chart. All of these were new to me.

I'm pleased with my purchase and I'm going to knit the hoody pattern on the cover.
review image review image review image review image
on 23 May 2011
This wasn't quite what I wanted, it had very few actual patterns. The stitch pattern library was very comprehensive, but I would have preferred more designs to use them in.
on 3 December 2014
Lovely patterns in this book, looking forward to many happy hours of inspired cabling
on 1 January 2016
Amazing book with lots of patterns and easy to follow instructions.
on 5 December 2015
Brilliant for any stash
on 27 June 2014
i love it
on 13 February 2014
I would have given this book 4 stars for content but I was very disappointed to see that they were all on charts - my pet hate and always seems a cheap alternative.