Format: DVD|Change

on 29 January 2013
I loved the books eries so much and I thought in the first and second books, Becky's character was hilarious. However, the film has ruined that completely.
1) It is set in America, for some reason unknown, yet Luke Brandon is English. Why? There seems to be no sense in this decision, since the second book Shopaholic Abroad is about her move from England to New York. They could have got two seperate films out of it rather then merge them into one crazy one.
2) In the book, Becky is not so obsessed by clothes as in the film. She tries so hard to budget and make more money, but Becky in the film just seems to not even try and do anything to help her situation.
3) Derek Smeath is turned from a kindly father-type figure to a horrible debt-collector with no sense of remorse. Why? There was no need for this transformation.
4) Becky's parents look way too young, since she is supposed to be about 26 in the film, and her parents don't look much older.
5) Important characters in the book sre missing from the film. Why? They were good and you cared about them when you read it.
DON'T LET THE FILM SPOIL THE BOOK! IT'S ONLY REDEEMING POINTS ARE IT WAS MOSTLY WELL ACTED.
on 9 March 2010
If you are a fan of Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic books then you must see the DVD.Isla Fisher plays the part of Becky Bloomfield to perfection with her happy carefree shopping ways.If it gleams,glistens or is just there in front of her she must have it - including a very expensive emerald green scarf that would pay for the entire wardrobe of most girls.Go for it and shopping will never be the same again.
on 20 September 2012
I have just discovered the Sophie Kinsella books and read them all very quickly...........they are hilarious!
This film is rubbish and so far removed from the actually contents of the books. I hated it and I am surprised that the author allowed such blatant mis interpretation of her novel.
on 12 February 2012
Tis quite sad when you type "Confessions of an..." and this movie appears in the search engine in the number 1 slot. Iwas originally looking for the classic book Confessions of an English opium Eater.

Anyhoo, I had the misfortune of watching this rubbish movie in a friends house recently. It is 90 minutes of cliche after cliche of dumb, obvious sterotypes.....So if you take "Sex and the City" and remove the sex, what are you left with? (Besides "The City, " I mean. )

You get "Confessions of a Shopaholic,". It is a movie about a giggly, Manhattan girl, who has a fondness for compulsive shopping.

Bright and shiny and bubbly, just like Isla Fisher's main character, it adopts a nice enough tone -- in a naive kind of way -- but beneath it all, this is a film that couldn't buy a positive female character if there were a barrel full on clearance sale at 'TK Max'.
on 25 February 2012
I enjoyed the DVD. In fact I watched it twice but it's definitely not as good as the book which I've also read a couple of times. It was an enoyable way to pass an evening with a friend but it isn't a very memorable film. Becky is American but in the book she's English. I would have preferred the film to be set in London with all its great shopping locations. Also, I was a little disappointed with Luke's character. I imagined him to be taller and look a bit older, more suave. As I said I did enjoy it but I would happily pass on my DVD copy to a charity shop, something I couldn't do with the book which takes pride of place on my chick lit book shelf!
on 31 August 2011
I really enjoyed the Shopaholic books and was quite excited about seeing the film... I had some memories of seeing the film advertised, but it wasn't until I bought the DVD and got 10 minutes or so into it that I remembered I'd seen it on television. The reason I hadn't remembered seeing it was that it was so very very different to the book. Making "Becky" American was a mistake (in my humble opinion) - more to appeal to a mass market than to stay true to the fabulous character from the books. The film is ok - easy to watch and enjoyable enough, but just too different to the book for me.
on 9 June 2009
I was thrilled when I heard about "Confessions of a Shopaholic" will become a movie. Exactly because I am a big fan of the entire book series.

And than the movie came. But it disappointed me somehow. The cast was excellent, Becky being the one I imagined reading the books, Luke the same. But there the resemblence stopped. Ok, you'll accuse me of being one of those single-minded persons who sees only one side of the medal. But...sorry, I can not! Becky is English, more English than Bridget Jones herself and to transform her in an American... Suze was supposed to meet Tarquin "on the way" and he was a plain, borring, rich, horrible (in Becky's opinion) dressed, Scottish guy, who did not even interest Suze, in the begining. And Becky...Becky was supposed to work for a television. Luke had Brandon communications from the start, he did not work for anyone. And so on....

This is always the mistake the writters do. They take a funny book (I would not use the adjective "great" because it isn't the case) and transform it in something that, they believe, would be more appealling for the larger public. For me, Becky Bloomwood died in the moment she became American.

On the other hand, it was kind of funny, well acted and I have to admit that Isla Fisher did a great job. But it lacked something, a spark, a little bit more chemistry between the main characters. Maybe Alicia Billington should have been more of a villain than a ... clown who tried so hard to be mean. But, in the end, it is a funny movie for a Sunday rainy afternoon spend with your girl-friends and a warning for what you may become if you are addicted to shopping (I've started to believe I am one...).
on 10 January 2010
There is nothing new or particularly intelligent about Confssions of a shopaholic, but what you do get is a nice, heartwarming chic flick. Becky Bloomfield dream of working for a vogue style publication, she loves fashion and is a girl who truely believes shopping will improve her life with mannequins telling her how this will happen. Of course nothing works out how she plans it and her shopping leaves her with huge bills she can't play.
There are some really enjoyable moments, which make you smile and laugh. Opening your credit card bills over tequila, the AA stle shopoholic meetings and Isla Fisher is pretty good and the clothes are fabulous, Patrica Field who does the clothing design for Sex In the City does this movie.
If you like movies like: Sex in the city, devil wears prada, etc you'll enjoy it. if you don't like chick flicks or Romantic comedy you should probably avoid.
As always with adaptations of books don't compare it too much to the book.
on 24 June 2010
'Confessions' reads like vintage Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry. I still watch these occasionally, with great pleasure. Seeing real-life characters act similarly to Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fud is quite horrendous. Becky, urged on by roommate (forgot her name), takes Manhattan by storm and credit card. Just like the cartoon icons Becky and her gang jump, fall, scream, shout, run, maim and get through without so much as a scratch. For me, this is COAS in a nutshell. It features some highlights; ig. Kristin Scott Thomas as magazine-editor and Hugh Dancy as CEO. They took this film above chickflick level, with Isla Fisher (Becky) doing her utmost best to keep it there. Never heard of her and hope never to hear from her again, along with actress who played roommate. Tired of Tweety and Puttitat? 'Confessions' provides ample alternative antics. Hence 2 stars.
on 2 August 2009
I liked the book (even though it is a little fluffy at times) enormously, as indeed I have enjoyed the rest of the series by Sophie Kinsella.

However, this is a pathetic attempt to make the main characters Americans (with the exception of Luke) living in New York (so how are they going to make Shopaholic Abroad?) using actresses who couldn't even act their way out of a (hand)bag.

Even Kristin Scott Thomas, a wonderful actress, looks pained at times, and fails to save this film from the rubbish dump of my collection of films.