The exponential progress and accessibility of computing has vastly increased data flows and revolutionized the practice of science, engineering, and communication. Computing plays a critical role in advancing research across almost every scientific discipline.
Computation for Humanity: Information Technology to Advance Society is a guide for the creation of services, products, and tools that facilitate, support, and enhance progress of humanity toward more sustainable life. This book:
- Provides a deep understanding of the practical applications of computation to solve human-machine problems
- Delivers insight into theoretical approaches in an accessible manner
- Provides a comprehensive overview of computational science and engineering applications in selected disciplines
- Crosses the boundaries between different domains and shows how they interrelate and complement one another
- Focuses on grand challenges and issues that matter for the future of humanity
- Shows different perspectives of computational thinking, understanding, and reasoning
- Provides a basis for scientific discoveries and enables adopting scientific theories and engineering practices from other disciplines
- Takes a step back to provide a human-related abstraction level that is not ultimately seen in pure technological elaborations/collections
The editors provide a collection of numerous computation-related projects that form a foundation from which to cross-pollinate between different disciplines and further extensive collaboration. They present a clear and profound understanding of computing in today's world, and provide fundamental solutions to some of the most pertinent humanity-related problems.