Format: Hardcover|Change

For a long time, I have wanted a complete edition of the tales collected by the Grimm brothers. One of the nicer editions that I owned was by the Folio Society, yet this was not complete. When I saw this edition by Knickerbocker, I instantly knew that I had found what I was looking for.
The book is beautifully presented within a protective slip case. The front cover has a fantastic design of trees, this is also on the slip case. What better cover than that for a collection of fairy tales? This particular edition also benefits from black and white drawings and colour illustrations by Arthur Rackham. As an illustrator of fairy tales, Rackham was one of the best. The only gripe that I have with the production of this collection is that the colour plates do not appear within the story that they come from. However, this is a very small gripe and was often the usual practice of fairy tale collections.
This book would make a lovely gift. Perhaps a word of caution does need to be mentioned for those who would hope to read these tales to their young children; the tales within this collection were not originally intended for very young children. The details of many of these tales are dark and quite gruesome. Therefore, if you do want to read this to younger children, it may be an idea to read through the tales on your own first.
on 18 September 2014
I don't normally rate my purchases but I feel I had to with this book.

I purchased it with a view of using it in my English class as an alternate version of the stories that children grow up hearing and showing how they were originally told. I was impressed with everything about the book. The way the book feels when you hold it and the quality of the paper. It evens smells amazing (yes I like the smell of books). Better than I expected and well worth the money. I love it.
on 14 February 2014
I will not comment on the fairy tales themselves, only that this edition uses the popular and brilliant 1897 Margaret Hunt translation.

This book is as well constructed as can be. When reviewers say, 'this is the best book I have ever owned', we have no way of knowing if they are paperback buffs or hardcover lovers. Therefore, I will say I am a member of the Folio Society, I love quality bindings, and this is a seriously well-done book. It is clothbound, and the cloth is superb. Very soft, wonderful to touch, and is not fluffy with errant threads. It has trees and the title emblem printed directly on the cloth, which is very beautiful. No cheap glitter, and is very tight. The golden bookmark is excellent. Often you will find thin bookmarks that haven't been stitched at the end, which eventually unravel. This has been stitched, and it will not unravel at all. The book is sewn, and opens flat. The paper used is thinner than average (probably 60 gsm), and is perfectly manageable and opaque. It is well printed, and the illustrations are clear and sharp, as is the font. The colour illustrations are even printed separately on glossy paper for greater clarity.

Finally, what I consider a great achievement, as it is rare, is that the boards used for the book are very sturdy, but the real treat is the slipcase. Those of you who know the Folio Society know that each book comes with a slipcase. I have many Folio books, and many of their limited editions, and they have never produced a slipcase as sturdy as this one from Race Point Publishing. It is exceptionally strong, and will protect your books for many, many years. It also have a marvellous glossy cover featuring trees and titles. My single gripe is that the book protrudes about 2.5mm out of the slipcase, which makes no practical difference to this brilliant book.

I honestly can't believe the price of this volume. The only difference between a £40 cloth-bound Folio Society book and The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales is that one was Printed in Germany, the other Printed in China. Look out for the other volumes in the Knickerbocker Classics by Race Point Publishing! So far we have the Complete Brother’s Grimm, The Complete Sherlock Holmes, and now The Complete Edgar Allan Poe. Keep ‘em coming!
on 23 March 2016
Oh my goodness, this book is beautiful
i have wanted a book on the complete Grimm's fairy tales for a while and have bought other editions, howevor this edition is by far the best i have seen. It is very thick, comes in its own slipcase and has 40 color illustrations.
It is a delight to have this gorgeous book on my shelf.
The stories inside are the original, un-edited and often gruesome stories collected by the brothers Grimm in the early 1800's.
Some tales seem nonsensical but funny and others are highly interesting to read.
I love this book and highly recommend it.
on 22 March 2014
The book is cased beautifully and contains every single one of the stories as close to the originals as I've found so far. The Illustrations are all really lovely and the pages feel great! This is the edition I would recommend if you are wanting the buy the original stories!
on 9 January 2015
Beautifully presented with a rigid dust case in a similar matching forest design to the cover which has a pleasant cloth like feel, and ribbon page marker. This book was a gift from my Mum, to replace the very old and battered one passed down from my granny and eventually lost in a house move many many years ago. This is the same book, with the same Racham illustrations that I fell in love with as a child. The print is very small, which I suppose is unavoidable in such a thick book. The illustrations are all there as in my original copy , but somehow they seem thicker of line and duller of colour. I did not mark it down for this as I am an artist myself and perhaps far too fussy.
on 4 January 2015
I wasn't sufficiently happy with this to keep it. The binding is good but not outstanding (sewn and clothbound, but not as luxurious as one would think). The pages are quite thin and almost see-through. The stories are newly typeset, and the illustrations are good. However, be aware that the colour plates appear in completely different parts of the volume compared to the story they are supposed illustrate. There is a publisher's note about the edition that is used in this volume (Margaret Hunt's 1897 translation), which was appreciated (see here: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=iRoQAgAAQBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PR30#v=onepage&q&f=false).
on 16 April 2014
The cover and the pages feel fantastic and is very well made.

This version really is as close to the original translations. It is written in more "olden times" language and thus may not be suitable for young ones to read as it can get rather difficult.

I can't really fault anything about the quality of the book or the translation of the fairy tales. Just make sure to check out the "look inside" link to make sure you are comfortable reading the stories in the older English language form. If not, then I would recommend the Jack Zipes translations.
on 17 January 2015
I looked in bookshops for a complete version of the tales and some seemed mightily overpriced.This edition is not flashy but comprehensive with good illustrations.One should not pay too much attention to the fact that the illustrations are well spaced out and not necessarily relevant to the adjacent story.This is collector's edition and not necessarily for young children.If you want a quality children's book with selected classic tales try the Taschen version.
on 4 July 2014
Beautiful condition and outer hard sleeve made this a perfect gift.