Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 August 2012
For those who are embarking on a study of or a career in Community Education, this book is a 'must have'. I was on the cusp of making the decision whether on not to commit to MA in Community Music Education, and the weights were finely balanced. Reading this book tipped the balance in favour of my progressing to further study.
I particularly liked the style of writing, its readability, and the ease in which the author makes it possible to understand the philosophical framework upon which the discipline (for want of a better way to put it) of Community Music is based.
I found it refreshing to see in print what has haunted the world of Community Music and Community Musicians....(namely an academic 'snobbery', which serves to suppress anything which is not considered 'high art' - my words, not his).... challenged in such a constructive way.
This book has not only helped me to better understand and appreciate this field, it has also served to help me on a personal level to understand and 'contextualise' significant aspects of my Self in my art form.
I look forward to reading more of Higgins writings and I feel grateful for his contribution to the world of Boundary Walkers.
on 23 February 2014
A very intelligent and thought provoking book about active music making in the community. An excellent study that covers history, social theory and real examples of significant community music outside of formal institutions.
on 30 October 2014
Anyone who is planning a career in education this is a must have