Format: PaperbackChange

on 30 August 2006
Suzannah Dunn writes beautiful, compelling prose, and this is no exception. Here is the pain of human relations in a nutshell, lightened at times by her trademark, humorous take on the minutiae of everyday life. Only surpassed, in my view, by the wonderful "Blood sugar", although it's a close run thing...
on 9 May 2001
What a fantastic book. I can't believe how moving I found this. I bought it on a whim and I'm so pleased I did. Really subtly played out but intense relationships. I'd put Dunn in the same class as Anne Tyler for understated brilliance, but with a uniquely British feel.
on 15 July 1999
Suzannah Dunn makes writing appear so easy. What I like most about this book is the small observations that ring true. She never overplays the drama, unravelling the plot with caution and ease. The dialogue is fresh and the characters are vividly drawn. I can't wait for the next one!