Top critical review
13 of 13 people found this helpful
DVD is Cut to shreds
on 1 May 2014
No, it's not just one quick scene of an arm being cut off after the shed attack. That was only cut in the BBFC cinema and VHS version. This UK release of "Commando" on DVD is loaded with further cuts. I love this movie and would give it 5 stars as a film but I'm here to review the DVD release to help purchasers, which is what all reviewers should do. Apparently the UK DVD release uses a German master from the German ultra-sensitive censor. None of these scenes are exclusive to a "Director's Cut", these are supposed to be in the official theatrical release. Here are some of the scenes cut on the UK DVD.
1. Man bringing out bins gets an extra shooting up by Cooke when on the ground.
2. Henrique, accompanying Matrix on plane has his neck broken.
3. Leg of table sticking through Cooke's stomach
4. Matrix slits a soldier's throat, while planting bombs (close-up)
5. Matrix stabs a man in the chest, while planting bombs (only the strangle is seen)
6. Matrix throws 2 knives at soldiers before massive attack
7. Shed-scene: Pitch-fork to the chest
8. Shed-scene: Axe to the groin
9. Shed-scene: Arm sliced off (This was the only scene originally cut by the UK censor)
10. Close-ups of pole in Bennet's stomach.
The Blu-Ray UK release has every one of these scenes restored but for those of us not getting roped into the Blu-Ray gimmick and over spending, we are denied an uncut DVD release of the theatrical version, not alone a Directors Cut release in the UK, which has even more scenes.