on 15 November 2000
After playing C&C Red Alert on the PC I thought this made a mockery of the PS Moto. 'Do not underestimate the power of the playstation' I figuered ot that a PS it better than my PC in everything, Graphics card, processor, RAM, but the PS version of RED ALERT has seriously flawed graphics and the controls are too fiddely. But still it is still a good game.
on 10 September 2000
I am new to strategy games so I thought I would try one, the game seems quite easy at first but soon becomes quite challenging. When you get into it it is non-put-downable!
Miss this game at your peril!
on 30 December 2012
hubby been looking for it kids love playing it as well... so they get hour of fun i get quiet win win
on 27 April 2002
I have been a fan of the Command and Conquer series for quite some time. I decided to buy this for ease of network ability. It's a damn site easier to setup on a PSX then a PC, but the PSX version does have it's flaws. For example...
1) The graphics are somewhat bad, even the first command and conquer graphics (on psx) are better, what's going on there?
2) The Red Soviet Tanks are pink!!
3) The blue allied tanks are Purple!!
4) Although network play is good, it can sometimes become VERY sluggish, but it's acceptable :).
The Pros of this game are that:
1) It's VERY VERY VERY addictive.
2) Skirmish allows you to play against 3 other computers which is good - no battle is ever the same :)
3) The FMV's rock!
4) Quite possibly the best multiplayer networkable game I have ever played on the PSX.
5) The music rocks.
In all this game is a classic game, if you haven't even heard of command and conquer then you've been in a very deep sleep for some time, and you are advised to get this now! Far better then the original C&C.
on 29 September 2014
Quick delivery, box was a bit battered but game works fine.
on 15 September 2014
exactly as described
on 31 May 2001
Having heard a lot about C&C series, I thought I'd see what all the hype was about. I couldn't believe that I'd actually paid money for this game- the graphics were reminiscent of a BBC micro from 1985, and the AI would suggest that your enemy had been to remedial school.
Having played the original RTS (real-time strategy) game by Westwood Studios, Dune II (for PC), over 5 years ago, I was really disappointed with the progress (or complete lack of it) in C&C:Red Alert. Like Dune II, the tactics for winning battles consists almost completely of beating off sporadic/weak enemy attacks until your base is armed with turreted defenses, then simply putting together a large armoured division which will be capable of wiping out the enemy. The AI is too stupid to send out defences if you stay just out of range, and your rocket-launchers just pound the enemy defences with impunity until your troops can march straight in.
Furthermore, the lack of a tutorial section (which even Dune II had) means that you will be left wondering what a Chronosphere or Iron Curtain actually does. I completed the game with ease without ever using one of these "special weapons". It seems to me that Westwood's games have actually regressed over time.
And what is going on with this silly harvesting business? In Dune II it was spice harvesting. In Red Alert it is "valuable ore/minerals" which just lie around on the surface, and in C&C:Tiberian Sun it is "Tiberium". Unoriginal and lazy.
It's a scrolling 2-D game for a format originally designed with a mouse in mind- so one might expect that the analogue controller would be utilised, right? Wrong. Unless you get a special playstation mouse, you'll be moving in straight lines for the whole time.
By the way- if you choose to ignore me and by the game, well I really hope you enjoy the video clips preceding each mission. Tragic to the extent of becoming laughable.
on 25 March 2015