Format: Vinyl|Change

on 29 July 2014
Apparently the original album tracks aren't remastered (they still sound good, but less essential if you already have a copy), but there's more bonus tracks than the Young Team reissue. The alternate/live versions are interesting, and it has some rare/ hard to get hold of EP stuff - including Hugh Dallas, which is so obscure that I hadn't even heard of it, from a Matador records compilation. The Travel In Constants EP is also pretty rare, I only had a poor-quality mp3 of it.

As for the actual album, it's a bit of a slow burn compared to Young Team, but Christmas Steps is the stand-out, if you like noise.

(I'd have given this 4/5, but some idiot gave it one star based on which songs they got from the autorip service. If there was a download code for the two extra songs from the LP boxset, like they did with the Special Moves CD/DVD, I'd give it a slightly more emphatic 5/5. But like the Rave Tapes boxset, I can't really justify spending a lot of money for an album mainly in a format that I can't play).
on 21 August 2014
reviewing the new extended version- the original album is here in all of its beautifully slow and building power, a real 'headphones in a dark room' epic, Christmas Steps being my personal favourite, and yet here you get a second album of live versions, original versions (with the real 'background commentary' from the American Football match etc)...look, just buy it.
on 30 September 2014
Beautiful package, great box, great tunes. The box comes with 2 double gatefold albums, with a poster and a data disc (I have not bothered with that) Well worth the price.
on 17 February 2015
The deluxe version of Mogwai's classic Com On Die Young is great ever if you already have the standard one.
on 22 July 2014
I've already ordered this as the Vinyl box set. I thought, since I'm off on holiday, it would be good to have the MP3 version ahead of time. So I ordered this on the assumption (more fool me!) that the auto rip would be of both CDs in the Deluxe Set. This is not the case! I got a download for the first CD only! (Which I already had since I bought it first time around).

This is the second time that I've been caught out by this - The The "Soul Mining" box set also gave me an Auto Rip of the primary album but not the bonus tracks!

Auto Rip beware!!!
88 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse