on 27 January 2011
A very worthwhile reference manual. Very impressed with its layout and simplicity. Certainly one to have by your side whilst working on you latest portrait.
on 1 September 2010
Finaly an 'Art practical' book that delivers what it says in the title. Having tried to paint portraits and figures for a while and not been satisfied with the results (particularly the colours of skin)I went searching for practical advice. Most of the books I looked at were short on practcal help of the type I needed, i.e. mix this with that to get this colour. I got exactly that. If you want techniques its not for you, but if you want to know how to mix the different shades needed for skin tones, hair and eyes its perfect. With mixes for oil, acrylic and watercolour and many different skin tones and in a spiral flat fold out format it sits next to me when I paint as a constant reference. As a result if anyone does a new print more waterproof pages would help,but that said my copy survived an upset water pot after a bit of TLC. In short one of the most used books I've purchased.
It's funny the things you don't get taught: as an ex art student from the days when life drawing was compulsory, mixing colour was thought to be pretty much intuitive and to some extent it is - until, that is, you want to paint flesh. It's not just getting the surface colour right, but also the underpainting, the colours under the surface that brings the surface to life, as it were. Having only recently painted my first portrait after 42 years, I welcomed this little book and still find its pages invaluable after several more portraits and my first life painting commission. This isn't about being professional, it is about being knowledgable and I have found it invaluable and certainly helpful. I doubt that there are many artists left who can teach you how to mix flesh colours more comprehesively than this book does, so get it if you need to know.
on 3 January 2009
I have purchased many books on color. It was not until I bought this book that my life and my paintings became easy! The book is written in a simple, easy to understand way and comes with a clear plastic insert for measuring out portions when mixing color. My was accidentally drenched in turpentine and it was then that I realized an additional bonus. The book is covered with a clear protective film that protected it. I would have bought another copy, but luckily, I didn't have to. Excellent book on color !
on 11 January 2014
As a professional artist I've found this book very useful for flesh tones. I'm an intuitive painter so don't used the plastic quantity guide in the back (why complicate the process?) Some of the oil colours aren't stocked by the 'big two' (Windsor&Newton and Rowney) in the UK as many have noted, but there are other manufacturers who do make them and who's paints are available through a number of online retailers. It's certainly made a difference to my work.
on 9 March 2011
This is a very useful book for any Artist who wants to paint portraits. it is very clearly set out and easy to use. it was despatched very quickly and reasonably priced. i can definitely recommend it.
on 15 March 2014
I wish I'd come upon this book earlier, the information on mixes and colour combinations have already had a good impact on my artwork. I have recommended this book to my friends.
on 21 August 2014
Some colours for the mixes are impossible to find in the UK! One wonders if they even exist: if anyone can find a manufacturer of Phthalo Red, please get in touch! Cadmium Vermilion is another example. And that is after looking for paints for one specific painting where a dark-blond woman is featured. Now, this may sound like I petty and if a particular paint showed in the book is not avaliable (anymore?) I should look for a replacement. Fair enough but if I wanted to experiment I'd not have bought the book in the first place.
I am scared to think what happens when I seek colours for a completely different person.
on 23 July 2015
Great book for acrilic or oil not good for watercolour. The watercolor section is only 4 pages so gives next to nothing but the rest of the instruction or the other 2 mediums is fantastic i just wouldnt recomend this for watercolourists
on 11 January 2011
Good book. Very slim volume with practical advice. Not much in the way of identifying skin types. Just shows how to mix the paint. A large omission in my opinion.