on 28 March 2011
I started reading "Color Me Grey" late one night as I was supposed to be falling asleep. This was a mistake. I liked the character of Alexis immediately. Despite her unconventional and privileged upbringing (which could easily have had the opposite effect) she had an attitude and style I loved. She has a passion to experience life that most of us lack. She is always thirsting for knowledge, a quality very few people have. One thing that really stuck with me, since it hit close to home, was when Alexis said:

"Reading is a habit of mine, not a hobby, but a habit. It seems I just can't get enough. I will read anything."

Perhaps some of you can relate. I know I did.

The characters, including Alexis, are "larger than life." Their adventures are beyond what you'd expect from real life, yet aren't as over-the-top as you might find in a James Bond type novel.

If this sort of adventure-thriller is your sort of read, "Color Me Grey" might be the perfect read, although Alexis is a different kind of hero than you might have experienced before.

The only caution I have is Phelps writing style, at least in this book, is very narrative driven. One friend described it as stream-of-consciousness, although I'm not sure that description is quite right. But if you're looking for lots of dialog, you won't find it, if for no other reason than many of the characters tend to be close-lipped, letting their actions talk for them. If you're not sure, read the sample. If your reaction is anything like mine, that will be more than enough to hook you. Just don't start reading if you should be sleeping, or risk paying the consequences the next morning as I did.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog.**
on 8 December 2010
This is an exciting story of a girl looking for adventure. When she applies for a mysterious job, she gets a little more adventure than she bargained for. I found this story exciting from beginning to end. The attention to detail was refreshing; not too wordy. I enjoyed tagging along on Alex's adventures and look forward to continuing them in Shades of Grey.
on 29 May 2012
I liked the tough heroine,and the story started well enough, but after a while all the characters seemed one-dimensional and the action meaningless without explanations. It read like a transcription of a computer game, typed by an audio-typist who didn't notice homophones. I found aught for ought, peak for peek, and -aargghh! - vile for vial. I wanted to get out a red pen and rearrange sentences like 'I let my hair loose and curled the ends of my hair under'. I gave up half-way through. I'm an old pedant and this just wasn't for me - I can't ignore stuff like that. Proof-reading is important even in a slight novel like this one.
on 13 June 2012
Unusual review this as I am only 60% complete and still trying to decide if I should persevere to the end. If I give up it will be only the second time I have done this. I've surprised myself at getting as far because this has got to be the worst book I have read but have only myself to blame,it being free. Poorly constructed story, no substance to the characters and a writing style that would be considered below par in a Primary school.Sorry.
on 26 May 2012
Has to be one of the worst books I've ever read, thank god it was free. I can't understand the good reviews?? It's very badly written and the character is extremely irritating. Are you supposed to like her?
It seems that during every event at the start, she just so happens to of had the right training for it. All previously unmentioned until that point of course. Said training just pops up when convient.

And it's so inaccurate. Starving for 3 days and she still has the energy to think clearly, walk about and fish for an entire day? Meets Mr White when she's 12, has a huge crush on him ever since, but doesn't recognise him during the interview? How different could he of looked? Has he had a face transplant or something?
on 14 May 2012
While this is not the best thiller I have ever read it was an engaging enjoyable read. I really liked the ballsy main female character and the way she interacted with the people and challenges in her new world. Sometimes you just need a fun fast paced read to get away from the stresses of life and this certainly met the bill. This is the best free book I have read on Kindle so far and I am going to go out and spend money to get the sequel (which is unusal for me as I am a penny pincher). If you like the sound of the blurb I would recomend that you go for it!
on 17 June 2012
Do not understand the hype .This book is poorly written and its characters and plot banal Thank goodness it was free I would have felt cheated if I had paid for this trash.A blot on the landscape of literature. I persevered until the end in the hope it would improve alas it did not
on 30 December 2013
The character names annoyed me, Mr, Red, White, Blue etc. The writing style is quite simplistic and after a while I yearned for a longer complex sentence. It might suit someone younger. It is easy read but I didn't enjoy it and wouldn't read another of the series.
on 28 November 2015
I enjoyed this book immensely. I loved our heroine and I came to grips with the character study of all the colours. This is the first book which I have read of this fine author it will not be the last. So glad that this was the first book in the series. No two will be my next read.
on 22 October 2013
It gave it one star as I couldn't give it none. 12% or chapter 3 into the book and no action, sorry not good enough for an action book. So, I was getting the impression this is an action book for chicks, you certainly get to know about hair and make up and eyeing blokes up. It's a bag of bollox and so I gave up, and why not? Should you be well into the third chapter and be waiting for things to kick off? No. I suggest the Jet series of books if you want a real heroine with action from the first page.