on 28 January 2004
this is a fantastic book that covers just about every subject going. I am a collector of some very bizzare items and still managed to find them in this very comprehensive price guide.
It collects its information from many auction houses around the country and a few antique stores. It lists lots of collectors clubs and absolutley loads of auction houses so if you wish to sell something you are spoilt for choice on where to send it, the good thing is it states who specalizes in what.
The valuations are imple and easy to understand as with descriptions of the items. Ive come across some books that give you little information about the item your looking at but this isnt one of them.
so i would say buy this book it is well worth the money
on 18 March 2004
I bought this book because I was starting to pick up bits and pieces from junk shops and was curious to know if they were worth anything. I found it very interesting and well laid out & it sent me off searching for items that caught my eye! As a result I'm now addicted to internet auction sites! Judith explains things informatively, simply and most importantly in a non patronising manner. I also lost count of the amount of times I said to myself " I used to have one of those I wish I'd kept it". Highly recommended!
on 21 February 2004
Although i am not a collector as such, old antiques and things interest me a lot, and when i managed to borrow a copy of this book from a friend i had good time looking trough it.
This is an extreamly comprehensive book which has some great pictures of every item, along with a very detailed description which is easy to understand. Overall there are over 5,000 items listed, which appear in the following catagories: Advertising, Antiques, Autographs. Automobilia, Books, Cameras, Canes, Ceramics, Comics, Commemorative ware, Dog Collars, Film Memrobilia, Glass, Jewlery, Kitchen & Domestic, Mechanical Music, Medical Instruments, Militaria, Oil lamps, Optical, Oriental, Pens & Writing Equiptment, Plastics, Posters, Prints, Rock & Pop Memrobilia, Scent Bottles, Science & Technology, Silver, Smoking Collectables, Space Memrobilia, Sporting Collectables, Textiles, Tools, Toys & Games, Watches, and finally Wine & Drinking Collectables, to name but a few. Also, along the right hand side of the page there is an A-Z collum so finding which catogory you want to look for, is no hard task.
In the back of this fantastic book, there are lists of collectors clubs and auction houses, just in case you want to sell any of your antiques. It also tells you which places specalize in what antiques.
If you are a collector yourself then this is a must-have book, and as it's reasonably small, you can take it with you to antique fairs or such like events, and check what you are buying is worth any big bucks. A great book for both die-hard collectors and people with an intrested in antiques alike.
on 4 November 2009
I found this book interesting. looking at the collectables and old furniture how it used to be.
on 18 January 2016