Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 January 2014
I really loved this book. As a former player on the professional tennis circuit who struggled with the dips and highs of performance I instantly related to what Dr Watkins said about not being able to bring your A-game every day. When he explained the different levels we need to get control of to consistently deliver performance that was the first time my mind was blown with this book which I think was about page 4! I wish I had this 5 years ago, I would have been a different player!

When he goes on to explain about the emotional impact on our bodies and how we are causing heart disease, high blood pressure and cancer to ourselves and that means we can prevent most cases of it that was the second time of many my mind was blown and the reason everyone should buy this book.

The book delivers not only insight and profound thoughts about what potential we all truly have inside but then specific exercises and how to make them a part of your life. I've found using the e-bank skill to massively boost my energy and learning how to turn on passion, inspiration whenever you want I already see the benefits of and people around me have started commenting about how different I am showing up. I cannot wait to develop these skills more and buy his next book.

There are not enough amazing things I can say about this book, the best thing that I can say is I now share Dr Watkins vision of creating a world of enlightened leaders and if they all started to operate with coherence I think the world would tackle the wicked problems Dr Watkins addresses and we would have much less suffering and a much happier world. As Dr Watkins says in the bonus chapter though it starts with the individual.

Its a fun, interesting read and life transforming at the same time. I've not known so much content coherently packed into one book so it gets 5 stars from me and I highly recommend people to buy this book now.
on 10 May 2015
This may be the best coaching program I've been following. I've been listening to Les Brown, the empowering legend for a while, and even if I knew that I could do better, I still didn't know how to reach higher levels. Alan Watkins gives you tools with "Coherence", and it doesn't take long time before the journey starts.

I have improved many aspects of my life within a few weeks only, even if I didn't expect any fast change. And don't get me wrong, it's not about quick fixes... you will have to do the work, and you will get your payback many times.
on 7 April 2015
The book carefully builds from an almost medical prescription of how to control your own thoughts into a method for leading and influencing all those you engage with. Now I know the ending I am probably going to have to read it again to better understand its true meaning.
on 11 December 2013
Highly recommended. Dr Alan Watkins is CEO of international management consultancy Complete Coherence Limited, having previously been a medical doctor for over ten years.

Watkins begins by explaining the key linkages in an integrated performance model, delving below the surface of behaviour and results to the thinking, feeling, emotion (e-motion or energy in motion), and physiology driving those surface factors - one critical example of which is heart rate variability (HRV).

"The real secret to performance is not relaxation; it is not even motivation. It is the ability to get over to the left-hand side of the performance grid and stay there. (The left-hand side of the grid represents a positive state where our emotions are underpinned by a range of "anabolic hormones", particularly DHEA - the "performance" or "vitality" hormone). Living on the left-hand side requires us to develop a new way of being, a state of "coherence". Coherence is, in essence, the biological underpinning of what elite performers call "the flow state" (Csikszentmihalyi, 2002): a state of maximum efficiency and super effectiveness, where body and mind are one. In flow truly remarkable things are possible. Like the stonemasons of old, coherence is the "keystone" that locks all the pieces of Enlightened Leadership together to create an Enlightened Leader. It allows us to be at our brilliant best every single day and this book is dedicated to coherence and how to achieve it."

The book outlines the evolution of enlightened leadership, through the three stages of emergence, differentiation and integration, highlighting its importance if we are to thrive in a volatile, uncertain, complex/chaotic and ambiguous ("VUCA") world. Watkins and his team have adapted Ken Wilber's AQAL (all quadrants all levels) integral framework to a business setting to produce and road test with around two thousand leaders globally the "Enlightened Leadership model", taking in personal performance (I), people leadership (WE), commercial performance (IT - near-term organizational view), and market leadership (IT - longer-term, bigger picture organizational and market view).

The author makes the distinction between horizontal learning (acquiring knowledge, skills and experience), and vertical development which is more about growing our wisdom and the maturity of our perspective, and expanding our capacity to hold multiple viewpoints and better address complex challenges and opportunities.

I like the way that Watkins takes us through multiple levels of development across eight key lines of development, five internal and three external - namely, physiology, emotions, cognitive, maturity, values, behaviour, networks and impact. He also nicely weaves in ten levels of consciousness, eight levels of spiral dynamics, seven stages of team development, and the incorporation of holacratic processes as a comprehensive and dynamic practice for structuring, governing and running an organization.
on 18 November 2013
The sheer number of concepts introduced in this book is phenomenal, as the author states this is not a book with just one "big idea"! However, what Alan Watkins manages to do is to weave all the scientific ideas together into an integrated picture of how the human system works to deliver brilliant leadership every day.

It's a fascinating read and extremely thought-provoking - be prepared to have a number of assumptions and myths challenged. For instance, the book reveals that it's not "psyching yourself up" with adrenaline or "taking a deep breath" that determine your ability to perform brilliantly - far more important are whether your emotional state is positive or negative and whether your breathing is rhythmic and even. All of these insights are backed up with clearly articulated scientific evidence, explanations and examples. The real life case studies are also very interesting and worth checking out on the book's website [...]

You'll also find practical approaches to applying the ideas that Watkins outlines in each chapter to help you be: younger (physiologically in terms of the energy you have), healthier, happier, smarter, more successful and more influential. For example, simply tracking my energy with the 'E-Bank' tool has been a revelation and I definitely feel more energetic!
on 10 February 2014
This is an extraordinarily useful book, it should be on the school curriculum.

As a busy mother I’m not exactly the target audience, but the clear, pragmatic approach is very accessible. It has enabled me to achieve greater clarity of thought, and effect better communications and coherence into family life.

Critically I thought the ‘spiral dynamics’ needed a more (scientific) explanation, although it did 'ring true'.

The book is generally outstanding, innovative and deserving of a wider audience – would be great to see a ‘Coherence for Dummies' edition.
on 8 December 2013
Dr Watkins' book is a must-read for whoever is concerned by increasing his/her personal performance, at work, at home, running a marathon, playing in an orchestra, or simply baking a chef's cake... Alan reveals the very mechanisms and levers of performance and leadership, linking the physiological characteristics of our body to the development of hard and soft skills that make us perform better. The book also uncovers the properties of emotions behind happiness and provides the reader with lots of practical tips on the road to happiness. A great book, with a lot of knowledge and impact!
on 13 November 2013
Coherence is the most insightful and practical guide to improving your leadership abilities I have ever read (and I've read a lot of business books). It is thought provoking, stimulating and inspiring.

It has some brilliant conceptual frameworks which are described with clarity to make them very easy to understand. The book provides plenty of insights and information which are turned into practical advice and skills you can implement immediately.

The booked is packed with good advice and ideas and gives you the option to select which will work best for you.

In my view this book will help, leaders in all walks of life from CEO's of global corporates, to parents as leaders of families.

This book gives practical, useable advice for everyone whether you are an aspiring leader or just somebody who wants to improve their understanding of themselves, improve their quality of life and/or their relationships with others.

I was personally coached by Dr Watkins and found the techniques he shares in his book revolutionary. I now have the pleasure of working with him sharing this work with others.
on 19 April 2014
Alan's book is a truly stunning demonstration of how to bring one's whole self (mind, body and soul) into that harmonious sense of balance which allows one to live, work and above all else lead in a dynamic meaningful way. The impact upon one's own personal health & wellbeing is immediate, as it the impact on other people as well. The book is innovative but soundly evidence-based, and I would strongly recommend it to ................................everyone, as there is no one who I imagine will not benefit significantly from following its essential principles.

John Cooper
on 6 January 2016
Best book I have read in a long time.