on 15 January 2011
hmmm, overall Im dissapointed.

poor
1. The maps in the book are not detailed enough, they barely give you any infomation at all of use while you travel. Just overall mappings, scale is to far out, and print isnt great.

2. while the route can of course be done west to east or east to west, this book decides to not offer a guide to both, Im planing west to east to make use of winds gradients etc, but the book goes east to west...... ok, its not a disaster, but just another minor frustration.

good
1. guides to B&Bs etc on the route and points of interest. But its hard to tell if these reviews are written by the owners of the B&B as they do read liek standard sales pitch. SUrely not all B&B on route are tremendous? surely the reader could be warned away from some? but prices are services are clearly stated, so certainly of some use.

Overall, cant see the point of the book, could easily get the same info from any tourist info site. And with poor maps in the book, it needs the excellent sustrans maps to go with it, in which case why take the book?

only buy it if you want a coffee table browser lying around to put your coffee on..
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 August 2011
A group of die hard cycle friends recommended this neat little book to me after they had used it on their recent coast to coast ride. I have just completed the route myself, solo, with this guide in hand. Doing the ride by myself was quite daunting but I found the information in the book really helpful when I was planning my trip and where to make overnight stops and stay. All the accommodation turned out as recommended and it was useful to know in advance who welcomed cyclists, had storage and didn't mind me arriving in wet gear and could offer a place to dry it. The maps were very useful and the size of the book meant I could easily slip it in and out of my pack when I needed to refer to it. I liked the writing style too - the author sounds like he writes from experience, so the book seems more personal when you are using it. It was quite a challenge for me to do this long ride by myself and I found this to be a trusty travel companion! good value too.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 31 May 2010
This book simply promotes all the business' you'll come across on your way. If you're after a useful guide to the cycle routes look elsewhere.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 August 2011
This great book was a massive help to us planning and executing our trip. Don't really understand the stated problems with maps, which we felt were more than sufficient to get us through, coupled with the route signage. They're clearly not meant to be OS maps, which you could always buy if you required that much detail.
Another great plus was introducing us to the wonderful towns and villages along the way, which we were compelled to revisit after finishing our cycle trip. They were really worth seeing again and we're so glad the guide introduced us to these places, which we probably wouldn't have seen otherwise.
I'm looking to have the same experience with another area so bring on the next guide!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...